A New Bulova....

ramrod

.....with a face only a mother could love. i picked this up in a lot of five watches. this watch was the reason that i bid on the lot. it's a typical seventies, conspicuous consumption, bigger than life watch. i wonder if something else goes around the face of it - an insert of some kind. i'm not sure. anyway, it is not attractive - which is why it attracted me. it has a blue dial which is pretty much perfect - as is the case. there are no large dents in it and it still has very fine brush marks on the finish. it has lead an easy life. which makes me the madder that someone messed with the caseback.

i can't tell the year of manufacture because someone sterilized the case back.

so i popped it open figuring that the innards would be a mess and got a pleasant surprise. this movement shined like the sun. the pics don't even do it justice. it's almost a pale gold color. very attractive.

it seems to have a low beat to it - like it needs a good cleaning or something.

anyway, here it is. i'll post more pics when i clean it up a bit.

post-836-0-49716700-1451428801.jpg

post-836-0-63884000-1451428808.jpg

• Like 3

This IS very 70s, isn't it! My guess is that, when it's been cleaned up it will look good and, as you say, the movement looks OK. The probability is that a shiny movement and a slow beat indicate the need for a clean and some fresh oil.

I look forward to the transformation.

Will

good news, then. i think you're right, clockboy. i'm sure a cleaning and service would do this a world of good.

i wound and set it when i got it. it's been 15 hours and it's still dead on. one thing i've noticed is that the crown is extremely difficult to pull out. it's one of those "bend your fingernail back" crowns.

in this day and age of watches, it's hard to believe that a manufacturer would put this level of finish into a movement. it really meant something back then.

good news, then. i think you're right, clockboy. i'm sure a cleaning and service would do this a world of good.

i wound and set it when i got it. it's been 15 hours and it's still dead on. one thing i've noticed is that the crown is extremely difficult to pull out. it's one of those "bend your fingernail back" crowns.

in this day and age of watches, it's hard to believe that a manufacturer would put this level of finish into a movement. it really meant something back then.

You can always change the crown some change if worn for ease of use.

Howzit ramrod ,

I like it !!  That's really going to look nice when cleaned up .  Try using the Bing search engine to look for "Vintage Bulova s" in Bing Images , and see if it comes up so you can see if anything is missing from the face , [or bezel ], ...I don't think so . 

Let's start a club....It reminds me of my vintage Caravelle . Swiss made , AS 1916 movement with a new stem and crystal .

These pics are from Bing images , but mine is Identical , even the bracelet....

post-808-0-84142900-1451615414_thumb.png

post-808-0-05188900-1451615440_thumb.png

I think my Gruen precision can join the club too.... Also Swiss Made but I don't remember the caliber . The dial is a beautiful mottled dark blue . New crystal and Sting Ray watchband .

post-808-0-16949200-1451615673_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

hey RP....i've cleaned it up. i'll get some pics together. one thing i've noticed about it (and i've only seen this on a rolex) is that the day and date change together no later than 12:01. it's really cool to watch the quick change. i don't have another watch that does that.

perhaps someone else does?

i LOVE that gruen! oh man, could i ever wear that one. very sharp.  and that caravelle certainly shows it's lineage.

good idea about the google. i'm gonna do that. plus it'll give me some ideas as to what to look for on fleabay. i usually do a search for a particular brand, but i've forgotten about gruen.

how would i know what movement is in my bulova?

the rotor says 11BSACB    N3 (which i believe stands for 1973)

ramrod said , "how would i know what movement is in my bulova?

the rotor says 11BSACB    N3 (which i believe stands for 1973)"....

11BSACB is the Bulova Caliber , the same type of numbers are also used on the Caravelle . These brands usually have these numbers posted on the rotor or one of the bridges . But you have to look under the balance wheel to see if it is a Swiss movement such as AS 1969 , or ETA , or FHF for example . You can usually look at other Bulova s or Caravelles and use there numbering system to match what you are looking for . But if the movement is Swiss , than looking under the balance wheel will revel that and it opens up the places to look for particular movements or parts .

well, here it is cleaned up a bit. i still can't get into the corners of the bezel. and, i think you're right RP, nothing goes in the bezel area.

i gave it a brushed finish because i'm very sure that it's what came on the watch.

even though this is a hand winding auto, it is extremely difficult to hand wind it because only about the lower third of the crown is accessible to wind it. it needs a notch in the top of the case, i think.

post-836-0-45150000-1451669605.jpg

post-836-0-19945000-1451669615.jpg

post-836-0-70035700-1451669633.jpg

post-836-0-28785400-1451669650.jpg

post-836-0-95426200-1451669680.jpg

• Like 1

Good job there ramrod . It looks nice . I don't know if you want to , but I would think that you would have to remove the crystal to cleanup the edges of the bezel area . I would deal with autowind and not alter the watch case , but then , it's your watch .

I noticed a similarity in the look to my Hamilton Electric .  On my electric , you can see how your crown would look with a longer stem  .

post-808-0-38105600-1451677003_thumb.jpg

i did remove the crystal on this. it popped right out. i used a dremel with some very high number sanding discs - 1200 i think, to smooth it out and then worked it by hand.

on the stem, i already compared this with your caravelle. your caravelle and hamilton look right with the crown out a bit. i might have to see if i can turn that crown off of the stem a couple of revolutions. it looks very good when it's flush, but it's almost unuseable. it's gotta stick out a little bit. i'm gonna do a google search right now to see if i can find this one.

i'm making a watch strap of horse right now for this one. classic black.

You may want to try looking for the stem with the AS2066 number , you'll probably have more luck . In your searches try and ask at :,http://oldswisswatches.com/Spares/AS_Mechanical_Movements.htm

They are very helpful and not expensive . Most parts ship for $2.00

I have on occasion removed a stem and crown from a case , removed the crown from the stem and applied loc-tite to the stem to turn the crown out a couple of revolutions .  You are probably better off getting a new stem and cutting it to the length you want . Most times they are sent in packages of 2 or 3 plus stems .

In this case I would imagine you would have a very difficult time finding an original crystal . I get most of my crystals from Jules Borels . I measure the case Dia. and the crystal diameter and usually order the crystal measurement size and 1 size larger and 1 size smaller .  Their tension ring crystals are not expensive and in some cases I remove the tension ring if the crystal is held in place by the bezel ,[or order a stepped crystal] .

Yours doesn't have a bezel ring so I am guessing it's a tension ring style . Sometimes It's trial and error on these , so I have a small assortment that I can fit on future watches or at least try them and can see if I may need something larger or smaller . Ordering a few at a time also saves on shipping .

hey RP....i've cleaned it up. i'll get some pics together. one thing i've noticed about it (and i've only seen this on a rolex) is that the day and date change together no later than 12:01. it's really cool to watch the quick change. i don't have another watch that does that.

perhaps someone else does?

i LOVE that gruen! oh man, could i ever wear that one. very sharp.  and that caravelle certainly shows it's lineage.

good idea about the google. i'm gonna do that. plus it'll give me some ideas as to what to look for on fleabay. i usually do a search for a particular brand, but i've forgotten about gruen.

how would i know what movement is in my bulova?

the rotor says 11BSACB    N3 (which i believe stands for 1973)

Hi ramrod , ...You had mentioned a quick date change in this post and an article in a blog I subscribe to , [Adventures in Amateur Watch Fettling ] , discusses the instantaneous date change in this King Seiko . It may not be the same date changing mechanism  , but this blog always puts out interesting articles in a very entertaining way ,  and I wanted to share it with you and the other members....Enjoy...

https://adventuresinamateurwatchfettling.wordpress.com/author/adventuresinamateurwatchfettling/

• 2 weeks later...

well, i was doing some digging and came across a bulova watch site (watchophilia). i had been on the site before, but only for a few minutes. anyway, i looked at the owner's collection and found this. it looks like my bulova is a 1973 jetstar model. and there is a bit of color that goes on the bezel. i wonder if it was applied or just what it is.an insert? if i could match it somehow, i'd paint the bezel.

also, i see that the crown does stick out a bit. i've got a new stem in the mail so i can get mine to extend a bit.

post-836-0-31877100-1452654223.jpg

Edited by ramrod

The color on that bezel really does change the personality of the watch .  If you were interested in doing something like that you could try paint for model cars , or I have used ladies fingernail polish on bezel numbers .  There is a large variety of colors to chose from with the polish including transparent colors .  I found the trick is to mix it well or thin it with something like polish remover [acetone ] to make it flow better .

The watch from watchophillia does look like it was applied .