Deployment Straps

Happy Halloween!

In answer to your question, the reason being they do up differently and have advantages over a regular pin buckle strap. A deployment strap has a butterfly clasp instead of the regular pin buckle. They are quick to put on and take off, no creases in the band where a strap passes through a pin buckle and less chance of slippage, anyone who has tried to put on a regular strap and had it slip while putting the watch on and then seeing the watch hit the floor would see the advantages which are the same as with metal watch bracelets. For more expensive watches I prefer the deployment strap over a pin buckle.

Hope that helps.

Edited by mk3

Why are some straps called 'deployment' straps and others merely straps?

I really don't know why they have been given the name deployment, probably because it sounds good. I only have one leather strap with one fitted, and always find it a bit strange to use, probably because I don't wear it often.

Here is a video showing how you can fit a "deployment" buckle to a standard watch strap:- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2v7mOpIn66Q

Deploy is to unfold, open out or extend,usually referring to a body of troops.

Thats the origin of the word so, whoever first invented the buckle for watch strap use may have wished to imply that it was of a military nature to make it more butch and hence more saleable to men.

As if we could ever be conned so easily by advertising  :D

As I said " you are probably correct " no question, but I was explaining why deployment straps are so called, not giving a lesson in the history of the english language. We all know that our language comes from french and latin  but that still does nothing to explain why thing are called what they are.

Perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that this is a watch forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Here goes my definition and real name for those fancy "buckles".

The correct term for those is "pain-in-the-rear" buckle and I'd leave it at that! Mind me, I also own one and never use the nice watch (Wenger) attached to it because of the inconvenience. It is a tricky set up since a regular metal 24mm curved end band doesn't attach well and I hate those straight end ones so there you have it: we get conned with the fancy word and it puts our watches in quarantine so we need to buy more watches in order to, at least, wear one. Nice marketing and good excuse for collectors...win-win for some I guess!  :)

Cheers,

Bob