Seiko Dive Watches

Hi, I'm about to start having a go at repairing wrist watches.

I have found a seller on eBay with lots of Seiko Dive watches for sale quite cheap. Not Quartz, just wind up or automatics.

Can anyone tell me whether these are good to work on and are parts fairly readily available.

Thank for any advice..

Hey Alaska Mick. I think I know the seller you are talking about and yes his proces are good, but a lot of the watches are complete basket cases. If you want to get experience of stripping, cleaning, assembling, I would suggest snapping up one of the many job lots of cheap 'spares or repairs' mechanicals that come up of Ebay. Soemthing like this lot for example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-WATCH-LOT-of-5-parts-repair-ELGIN-10K-RGP-TRADITION-10K-RGP-WESTCLOX-6-/121793249895?hash=item1c5b718267:g:sKQAAOSw~bFWJuSX

These won't break the bank and will have simple movements that will be a good grounding in the basics. Plus, you won't be too upset when you invariably trash a couple (at which point they move to the ever growing 'spares' pile)

Hi, I'm about to start having a go at repairing wrist watches.

I have found a seller on eBay with lots of Seiko Dive watches for sale quite cheap. Not Quartz, just wind up or automatics.

Can anyone tell me whether these are good to work on and are parts fairly readily available.

Thank for any advice..

I presume you are talking about the guy in the Philippines?

Most look trashed but occasionally you can find a decent item or two.

Lots of 7s36 pieces with weld damaged crystal.

I got these to make into one good one.

Left one works. Replaced crystal with original new one. Dial missing 12 marker and incorrect seconds hand hence the not working one on the right for parts.

Each cost around £12.

20150730_144243.jpg

I think most of us have encountered the ebay seller 'the watchcollector' , Most of his watch have issues but he usually groups them together so you can usually get one or two good ones out of a lot of typical lot of 4. Example, he will usually list 4 pcs of similarly cased watches with common movements.

In my experience the watches are usually honest working watches, ie they haven't had the better parts harvested.

Stay away from the ones where he says that the back cannot be opened, I have encountered some and they are an absolute '**BLEEP**' to open, in most cases I've had to heat the damm things.

Worth a shot as a learning experience but one thing that you'll have to live with is that practically all of them have worn winding rotors. The watch will work but it'll be a bit noisy! They're cheap enough and even if you fail to get any working you'll have a nice source of parts for the next round!

I'd recommend the 6309 / 6119 series of watches as they seem to have better quality...7xxx are slightly cheaper (to me).

Anil

I have had loads of watches from the same seller you are talking about and am rarely disappointed. As long as your expectations aren't too high and you understand what you are getting. I don't think there have been more than a couple that I haven't managed to get up and running even with my limited experience. To be honest some of them have actually been running by the time they are delivered, must be the good old shaking they get during transit. Maybe look for some of his that he describes as "running as is" or "runs for a while then stops".  One thing though, if you think you might need any parts for renovation etc like dials, hands and bezel inserts it's definitely worth taking a chance and ordering them at the same time as your watches. There is nothing more frustrating than having to wait for another delivery which can take around 2 weeks, not to mention the extra shipping cost. Ask me how I know :)  I have found him to be very helpful and has sorted out one or two incorrect items for me without any trouble and always answers emails.

Good luck

Dave

If you do buy from Ramon (thewatchcollector) and find you need/want to replace dials/hands......

Aftermarket but superb quality.

http://www.dagazwatch.com/apps/webstore

http://www.yobokies.com/

If you want new/used OEM parts.......

http://www.speedtimerspares.co.uk/

http://www.speedtimerkollektion.com/

Also Stefan AKA schillachi61 on eBay.

Bought bits from all of them. Well respected sellers on the Japanese watch forums. [emoji106]

Edited by ro63rto
  • Like 2