Hello All;

To remove the external spline pusher-tubes of an Omega Mark II case, I'm looking for a tool, or a "short-cut" to screw them safely out.

145.014-2.jpg.d41247d654652a0b8a10ab7738bbf6da.jpg

By CousinsUK, for one particular size tube only, these internal spline tools (for external spline tubes) seem quite expensive; starting from £28.35 up to £75, ex VAT & shipment that is !

On eBay one can buy full sets, but they too don't come cheap either. It is not that I need these tools often, more once in a life-time kind of thing.

Anybody any tips or tricks?

If I need to buy, it has to be within the EU or else ........ I've to pay $$($) on import taxes / handling fees.

Of course, a safe short-cut is preferred ..........

@mikepilk do you have an el-cheapo idea?

Edited by Endeavor

There's the Horotec tool set that covers these and a lot of other things, but it starts at 180 CHF (which is a great deal actually). But, you can just get the bits, which are 13 each. I checked an old tube from Omega, it measures 3.65mm across the tips of the splines, and the MSA03.620-P39 fits well, a little loose (it's marked as 3.60mm diameter), and the MSA03.620-P27 fits perfectly- it's marked as "3.50mm". So not sure how or what they are measuring, but it looks like either would work. You can buy directly from Horotec, or I see Cousins have it, just a bit more expensive.

You don't have to have the handle to use the bit, you can hold it in a stout pin vice or even use pliers across the flats on it to loosen the tube. But the handle is only 26 pounds, and you could add bits as needed.

horotec pusher bits.png

Edited by nickelsilver
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@nickelsilver Thanks, that sounds already like a much better

(affordable) deal ! 😉

As far as I can see, buying from Horotec direct is buying out of Switzerland. I my case, I've to pay €21.50 "handling fee" + 25% VAT on top of a 13.20 item ..... 

CousinsUK uses IOSS, so the "handling fee" drops off but the 25% VAT remains.

Edited by Endeavor

2 minutes ago, praezis said:

I use the proper tools - but maybe an old cap, silver soldered to a brass tube, may do?

Yes, I've heard of that trick ..... sadly I don't have a spare pusher cap. Thanks 😉

@nickelsilver & @praezis Is there a chance that Omega used Loctite for these tubes?

I guess, if that's the case, I need to heat the case first before attempting to unscrew the tubes ... 🤔

54 minutes ago, Endeavor said:

CousinsUK uses IOSS

My most recent IOSS Cousins order was charged VAT when it arrived in Sweden. I got in touch with Postnord about it and they mumbled something about the IOSS digital number missing or not transferred correctly. They refused to look into it and I saw no other way out than to pay the VAT again 😠 I should have checked with Cousins before paying, which I stupidly did not. According to Cousins when this has happened previously it has in 100 per cent of the cases been the fault of Postnord.

When I eventually got my package it had the IOSS label and all pertinent information. I'm beginning to suspect that Postnord has orders to "discourage" (read sabotage) any non EU business made by common people. The kind of "service" that Postnord provides is what I used to associate with third-world countries.

According to Cousins:

"In every case of carriers/customs stating a parcel has not been sent IOSS or that the information is not correct, the investigation every time has proven that the IOSS information was present and correct.

Please ask your local delivery depot/post office/customs office to scan the bar code on the parcel, this will advise them of all the customs information, including IOSS information, which is readily accessible on their systems.

Alternatively please contact Cousins and we shall download the customs forms from the carrier’s website, which contains the IOSS proof, for you to forward to your local depot/post office/customs office.

COUSINS IOSS NUMBER: IM3720007595"

Edited by VWatchie

I don't know what the official stance is at Omega but all the ones I've removed look like they had Loctite. As well as a little metal crush washer. I haven't run into any so far that were ultra tight or broke off in the case or anything, and haven't used heat but it wouldn't hurt.

Before I got the tool I would grip the cap in a lathe collet and use it to turn the tube.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Before I got the tool I would grip the cap in a lathe collet and use it to turn the tube.

Good idea ! Will give that a try 😉

23 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I'm beginning to suspect that Postnord has orders to "discourage" (read sabotage) any non EU business made by common people

I have had that too, but in my case it was Royal Mails fault. Ever since, CousinsUK ships only with the more expensive registered mail(s). Still, it seems that IOSS is (deliberately?) not well understood.

And yes, for sure, the EUSR is discouraging trade from outside the EU, and especially trade with the UK, since they had the audacity to leave the EU.

"Kindergarten" mentality comes to my mind.

Edited by Endeavor
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1