Dumb newbie question

I have just completed my second attempt at lubricating a watch movement. One of my biggest challenges is lubricating the pallet jewel since , as I lower the oiler towards the jewel, I can only see in 2D with my loupe. As a result I sometimes end up hitting the top of the jewel or reaching below it. 
Is there a trick to this or does it just get better/easier with experience?  I know microscopes are 3D but not in the budget right now. Do you just have to sort of feel around when using a loupe?

18 minutes ago, MarkF said:

I have just completed my second attempt at lubricating a watch movement. One of my biggest challenges is lubricating the pallet jewel since , as I lower the oiler towards the jewel, I can only see in 2D with my loupe. As a result I sometimes end up hitting the top of the jewel or reaching below it. 
Is there a trick to this or does it just get better/easier with experience?  I know microscopes are 3D but not in the budget right now. Do you just have to sort of feel around when using a loupe?

What magnification loupe are you using mark

I oil the escape teeth with smallest bit of oil, let the watch run for few hours then add more oil, repeat as long as you gain amplitude.

Some folks oil the pallets before installing it, instal and  let the watch run for couple of hours, remove & rinse the fork, reinstall. 

There are threads on WRT that show images of oiling.

Edited by Nucejoe

Angle your movement so you can see the impulse face of the pallet stone like this video shows

You might find it easier if you hone down the end of your oiler and put a slight bend on it. I find this helps when oiling pallets.

This is one of the best YouTube videos on this subject, which will definitely help. It is all about practice. Don't expect to get it right the first few times. 

I've just had a class of students in today and they were oiling the train wheels jewels for the very first time using stereo microscopes and by the time they got to the dial side and the very last ones they were getting the lubricant in the jewel without painting the top of the oil-sinks. Lubricating pallets is not the easiest thing to do, especially without a stereo microscope. The more you practice, the more you'll get it bang on. 

• Like 2