Old HAC Clock

Michael20

Hello all, this is my first post here so I hope I don't break any rules. I have recently bought an old HAC clock on eBay, just to gain some experience rather than as a serious restoration project.  The case is a total wreck but I cleaned the movement and it is now keeping really good time. I guess I am not the first person to fall for this because now its running, I can't resist the challenge to try to get it back to its original state, my problem is finding parts. The front door / glass is missing and there is no key and pendulum. If I could find a similar clock on eBay I would at least have something to go on  but after several days searching I have drawn a blank. I'll attach a few pics in the hope that someone has one on the shelf at home (bit of a longshot I know) also it would be nice to know the approximate age if anyone has any info on that.

Thanks in advance

Michael

Front.jpg

Movement.jpg

Pic 1.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum,  glass if it’s flat can begot from any glazier, if domed that’s a challenge but can be usually sourced on eBay. The same applies to movements which also appear for sale, ihave a few old clocks in the work shop and will have a look.

the case although looking rough will respond to cleaning and a littleTLC.  With rough cases very fine wire wool and methylated spit its work well in removing old and dirty varnish.  Plenty of books on the subject  and clock repair should you require some recommendations just ask. 

H A C stands for Hamburg American Clock Company.

So it is after 1900 probably around the WW1 so 1914. Looks to be a 30 hour movement going by the spring. The hands are odd the hour is in the style of what is called moon the minute is what is called Spade. All wood case and the inside is still very rough which is what you would get.  Needs a lot of T L C. With the internet you should be able to pick up a pendulum and you might be lucky with a bezel.   

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your responses. Regarding the pendulum, I had assumed I needed to get the correct weight pendulum bob, so it seems I have some reading to do. Thank you oldhippy, the date is nice to know. I hadn't noticed the hands were odd, again some reading required. The case needs to be completely dismantled and reglued as it isn't square and there is surplus glue oozing from every joint. I have seen a few pendulums that would fit but wanted to find an original if possible. The bezel has defeated me so far but if I can find a picture of a complete clock it would improve my chances. I'll post the pictures as requested by watchweasol  in case that helps.

HAC Front.jpg

HAC Rear.jpg

HAC Side.jpg

• Like 1

Hi.  Regarding the case, if it’s glued with resin glue it is possible to soften it up using steam to allow you to dismantle it for clean up.   It’s a method I have used successfully. I borrowed the wife’s hand held steamer, worked a treat.

• Like 2

Thanks again both. I have ordered what looks like a #68 on eBay so we'll see how that goes. The rear door is very warped so I am going to try using a steam wallpaper stripper to straighten it out - might not work but it beats decorating the house.

• Like 1

Hi. Had a look in the shop no HAC MOVEMENTS several three train and two train,no good to you for parts.  looks like the bezel is 120 mm. measure the edge to edge with a vernier,to be  more accurate. Whether the glass is flat or not when the movement is in its case put a steel rule across  9. To. 3 and check the hand height. Clearance above the hands  you could get away with a flat one, no clearance you need a domed glass.