Hi everyone,

I am new to watches in general and would like to get into watchmaking. I have this old Darwil watch that belonged to my late grandfather. The movement is in pieces and as far as I can tell, it's missing a jewel and one screw is broken. I took it to a few watchmakers in my area, but everyone told me it wasn't worth their time to fix it. So I wanted to just find a new movement and replace it, however there is nothing online about my watch or the movement. I attached photos of the movement and the watch wondering if anyone can help me identify it. If it is not visible on the photo the only thing written on the movement is "GN JOWISSA 17SEVENTEEN JEWEL UNADJUSTED SWISS".

Ps. sorry if my english is not great :)

20240120_160319.jpg

20240121_101220.jpg

20240121_101655.jpg

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. Not sure if the movement it might well be a Fhf. But you need to knows it caliber normally stamped under the balance then when you know this look on eBay for a replacement movement.

Edited by clockboy

Hello and welcome to the forum.   Not going to be an easy project , probably best to measure the case up for a replacement movement likley cheaper too.

Measure up the old movement  across 9. To   3.    And.  12. To. 6, and look for one the same or slightl6 smaller

Thank you all for the replies!

Sadly there is nothing under the balance, or anywhere for that matter (just the writing I put in my post). I wanted to just buy a simillar sized movement but I don't know if the dial feet and the crown stem would be in the right place. I'll try to find something similar.

Again thank you all so much!

Unfortunately without replacing like for like its highly unlikely that all will fit.. The dial alignment, height of the movement matters not only for the hand pipes but also the fitting into its case. 

I doubt if any other calib fits right in.

Can't be sure if all other parts are in good health before full  tear down.

There are ways to make fit parts of other calibs  onto this movement, worth a try considering its sentimental value.

Rgds

• 3 weeks later...