Escape wheel stops the mainspring barrel

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I bought several old non-working watches to learn watchmaking. Now, I am stuck at the first watch. The watch is a very old Ricoh mechanical. 

The movement interacts well with the train wheels and barrels. However, whenever I put the escape wheel, the mainspring barrel gets stuck and so does the whole movement. Without the escape wheel, all the train wheels engage and turns freely.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Reaz

Common faults of this issue are,

Zero end shake on escape pivot.

Badly bent pivot, thats providing there are two pivots present.

Broken jewel to escape arbour.

Damaged pinion of escape arbour.

Escape wheel rubbing .

I don't pin much chance that picture of the movement shows us the above.

Rgds

I stopped working on that movement. Instead I started working on a Seiko 6309a and thankfully that movement is running. The tip of the escape wheel was already broken in the Ricoh movement. So, it was dangling around and when it engaged it sat around the center wheel thus stopping the mainspring barrel...

Edited by Reaz
  • Like 1

Can I even repair that damaged escape wheel? I think I have to replace it and depending on where I live, it is near impossible to source replacement parts without exceeding the value of the watch. 

On the other hand, as someone new to watch repairs, I find it extremely difficult to do. I spend hours and hours to nibble certain parts just so it would hopefully fit.

I already had huge admiration for watch repairers and now after servicing few watches myself, I respect them even more. 

I thought it was fun but I actually stressed myself out a little bit. 😅