More you tube mayhem.

15 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I typically do not watch watch repair videos when I come home almost anything but that

That would be like me coming home from work and watching a video of a guy hanging a door bady or laying bricks the wrong way round . 😅

20 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

If I remember correctly, Blu-tack came out in the seventies. What did you use prior to that?

I read somewhere that the Waltham factory tasked a lady to make a batch of dough every morning and that was used like Rodico.

Maybe @Neverenoughwatches would like to make his own Rodico. Any extra can be used for making chapati.

Hey Hector , i made some dough strips for dry cleaning . Thanks the tip it works amazingly 👍

20231221_231102.jpg

On 12/20/2023 at 4:02 PM, oldhippy said:

As I'm one of the old buggers that never used finger cots I always used Radico, always handled parts with tweezers and I couldn't get on using watch mainspring winders. I learned how to put a spring in its barrel without touching the spring by using tissue paper. I expect now I'll be sent to Coventry for the rest of my time on this forum. 🤣 Happy Christmas.  

I guess I'm another old bugger.  I must have gorilla hands; all the cots I've tried were so tight as to be almost painful.

I've invested in good tweezers, good screwdrivers, good pin vices and tool holders, and good movement holders.  Even before cleaning, I touch the parts as little as possible, and after cleaning - not at all.  I will put on cots if I cannot do something without finger-manipulation, but I've been practicing with my tweezers and I believe I'm getting pretty good.  Learning to dress them right helps also.

But I do have a K&D winder that I like very much.  And I always have the Rodico close by.  And I know how to oil these things.  So I am hoping for a measure of absolution too.

• Like 3

Maybe this is a better way to use your rodico or dry cleaning dough. Pegwood in a retractable pencil, drill a 1mm hole in the end of the pegwood and push in your dough. After you've wiped off the excess the pocket of air pressure built up in the hole slightly pushes out a bump of dough,great for picking up jewels . 😄

20231221_231102.jpg

20231221_234318.jpg

20231221_234134.jpg

30 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I guess I'm another old bugger.  I must have gorilla hands; all the cots I've tried were so tight as to be almost painful.

I've invested in good tweezers, good screwdrivers, good pin vices and tool holders, and good movement holders.  Even before cleaning, I touch the parts as little as possible, and after cleaning - not at all.  I will put on cots if I cannot do something without finger-manipulation, but I've been practicing with my tweezers and I believe I'm getting pretty good.  Learning to dress them right helps also.

But I do have a K&D winder that I like very much.  And I always have the Rodico close by.  And I know how to oil these things.  So I am hoping for a measure of absolution too.

Thats exactly what ive been doing for the last 18 months, i hate cots for the same reason and only wear them when i cant find a way not to. I even sandwich the dial and movement between two pieces of sponge when putting the dial screws in.

17032028520134465588060761081115.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

i made some dough strips for dry cleaning . Thanks the tip it works amazingly

So, what kind of dough did you make? Plain flour and water? Any olive oil, salt or baking soda? Plain flour, bread flour, wholemeal or low GI!

With all the silliness going on, I can't tell if you are serious or just being silly. Now poor Ross will be in his kitchen making up a batch of dough. 

Just another tip, cockroaches and rats love raw dough. So you'll need to keep your homemade Rodico in an airtight container. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

So, what kind of dough did you make? Plain flour and water? Any olive oil, salt or baking soda? Plain flour, bread flour, wholemeal or low GI!

With all the silliness going on, I can't tell if you are serious or just being silly. Now poor Ross will be in his kitchen making up a batch of dough. 

Just another tip, cockroaches and rats love raw dough. So you'll need to keep your homemade Rodico in an airtight container. 

Strong bread flour i made mini fruit loafs with crushed pistachio nuts ready for morning , you need more gluten content for bread. At 57 years old I've never seen a cockroach not that many rats either. 

10 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Exactly. 

The majority of work can be done with tools only (tweezers, movement holder, pegwood...). 

I personally work without cots about 60% of the time (I could push it to 90%). BUT when I work without, I do NOT touch the movement at all -- absolutely nowhere and never.  For assembly, I tend to wear cots just to be safe, but I tend to not touch the movement with them either. Some people (Youtubers..) use cots that seem to have been used a 100 times, are filthy and may equally spread dirt and oils. Work surfaces also need to be clean (the video that started the thread is a great example of how it shouldn't be). I also dip my tweezers and other tools into Rodico regularly.

• Like 2

I am definately a newbie. That said, I watch YouTube videos for 3 main reasons. The first is for learning such as Mark's videos or Alex Hamilton's or others with tutorials on specific topics. The second is to look for a specific caliber that I may be servicing or have in my collection. The third is for the ASMR effect where it relaxes me to view servicing of a watch. However, it sounds like in this case none of those 3 reasons would have me watching the video _ YouTube r mentioned in this thread. As an aside to the finger cot discussion, my understanding they are only for the thumb, index and middle fingers of the non dominant hand and the dominant hand is for tools and should not need to touch the movement. No matter what the profession you learn standard practices and always implement them, otherwise you are lazy, have no attention to detail and won't be working on my project.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Knebo said:

Exactly. 

The majority of work can be done with tools only (tweezers, movement holder, pegwood...). 

I personally work without cots about 60% of the time (I could push it to 90%). BUT when I work without, I do NOT touch the movement at all -- absolutely nowhere and never.  For assembly, I tend to wear cots just to be safe, but I tend to not touch the movement with them either. Some people (Youtubers..) use cots that seem to have been used a 100 times, are filthy and may equally spread dirt and oils. Work surfaces also need to be clean (the video that started the thread is a great example of how it shouldn't be). I also dip my tweezers and other tools into Rodico regularly.

I wear finger cots for nearly the entire duration of working on a watch, but I've recently realized (albeit it a bit late) that I need to replace the cots at more regular intervals.  I do not have the luxury of working in a perfectly clean environment (but I try my best to keep my workspace clean), and my finger cots can gather some bits of dust, etc. during the process.  It is something I'll be more conscious of moving forward. 

Edited by thor447
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

I know I went into the kitchen to make a test batch of dough for homemade Rodico.

One thing led to another and this turned out instead....

20231223_091700.thumb.jpg.f9603cc5e28fafeac174f384da74b746.jpg

They look a bit like twigglets, i can see those sesame seeds getting lodged somewhere in the train or escapement 😁.  Confession time !!!   Haha yes i know I'm a bugger, the fruit loafs were good though 🙂.

1703364951725273809581876276431.jpg

On 12/21/2023 at 8:07 PM, Malocchio said:

I have some cheap cots from Cousins

Cheap is, as cheap does! If you buy some Bergeon or another known brand finger cot the result is obvious compared to something like Anchor finger cots, which should be thrown in the bin. If you prefer nitrile gloves, go for it. I don't like my whole hand sweating inside a glove, as I'm using cots for eight to ten hours a day and regularly take them off to let my fingers breathe.

I use Bergeon black finger cots. Large ones for three of my fingers on my left hand and an extra large for my thumb, as the large ones fell a little tight on my thumb. I don't like wearing finger cots on my right hand I use for screwdrivers and tweezers, as I don't have the tactile feel of the tool and generally don't handle parts with that hand

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jon said:

Cheap is, as cheap does! 

I suspected that but the price was so tempting. I'll have a try with Bergeons next time I order something. They're more expensive but I don't need them really that often, only when working on dial, glass and mainspring. I use carbon tweezers and pegwood when I need to handle other bigger parts.