Hi all

i have a few eta251.262 which I have serviced for a couple of projects but having checked the coils I havev found that I need at least 5 and they are not cheap at £12 each. My question is are these coils particularly fragile I am surprised I have so many defective ones. And does anyone no of a cheaper alternative as I would almost be better off buying a new movement. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Specializedjim said:

Hi all

i have a few eta251.262 which I have serviced for a couple of projects but having checked the coils I havev found that I need at least 5 and they are not cheap at £12 each. My question is are these coils particularly fragile I am surprised I have so many defective ones. And does anyone no of a cheaper alternative as I would almost be better off buying a new movement. Thanks. 

Yes the coils are fragile, most coils from quality movements have a lacquer on them some a thicker protective coating. How did you test them ? There can be many faults in a quartz watch. More often than not the ones I've tinkered with it was the silicone chip that had failed. 

• Thanks 1

Update!!! So I managed to get hold of a good coil and fitted to a movement that was missing just one with all of the others working. Fitted the battery and now two other wheels were not working. Removed those coils and they have both now failed. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. They were both working before and the movement has been well stored and I haven’t touched them before refitting the battery. 

1 hour ago, Specializedjim said:

Update!!! So I managed to get hold of a good coil and fitted to a movement that was missing just one with all of the others working. Fitted the battery and now two other wheels were not working. Removed those coils and they have both now failed. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong. They were both working before and the movement has been well stored and I haven’t touched them before refitting the battery. 

I wonder is something shorting them out, your tester maybe ?  I am surprised how many have failed, something faulty with the design of the module. Out of the few hundred or so quartz movements that i have stripped down very few had a broken coil.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I wonder is something shorting them out, your tester maybe ?  I am surprised how many have failed, something faulty with the design of the module. Out of the few hundred or so quartz movements that i have stripped down very few had a broken coil.

Usually most quartz coils are damaged by external influences. In other words that's really tiny wire and you don't want anything touching the coil. Typically when batteries are being changed people's lap and scratch the coil. Or when checking for coil resistance you want to keep away from where the wires touch the circuit board in fact you want to stay a far away as you can because if you touch in the wrong place that is a bad external influence a you probably break the coil.

So no typically coils do not fail at a super high rate not without help. Usually the downfall of quartz watches is the lubrication goes bad with time and or External influence again of dirt and debris getting in the watchmen somebody changes the battery. Gaskets that fail moisture gets in the battery leaks that can get all over the place. Depending upon the age and if it's ever been serviced poor lubrication practices were oil can get sticky very sticky. I was doing a Seiko's ladies watch once and lifted up the plate and all the gears were stuck to the plate that would be an example of poor lubrication practices.

• Thanks 1