How to safely re-install a cannon pinion

Hello all,

I joined I think several months ago and did an intro and since then have acquired some tools and signed up for Mark Lovick's course on watchfix.com.

I've just started disassembling the ST36 movement and took the hands off successfully as well as the cannon pinion.  Well, the pinion came off with a puller but then shot off never to be found.  I didn't fully realize until then how small these parts really are.  Good thing I ordered two movements.

My question is how you put it back on.  I ordered a couple hands installation hand tools but for the pinion what's the best way to proceed?  I've seen YT videos where people use tweezers and just push and I think somebody used a pin vice hand tool.  I have also read that you have to be careful to push straight down or you could break the shaft.  Additionally I read that you may want to support the jewel at the other side of the movement or you could pop it out.

I know that you can use a staking set but that seems overkill for just that purpose.  I can see a staking set in my future but for now I'd like to proceed without it.  So much to learn...

Thanks in advance.

Vic

It's amazing how much bigger the parts get after you've worked with them a while. A canon pinion on an ST36 is huge in comparison to other parts I've sprung from my bench and yet miraculously found. The canon pinion in general is just a friction fit and shouldn't require all that much pressure to put back. If you're pushing hard enough to pop out the jewel, you are either pushing way too hard or the jewel wasn't set properly. In any case, a firm push with a good set of tweezers should be all it takes. If it required a special tool, you can be assured Bergeon or Horotec would already have their hands in your pocket.  😉 

• Like 1

Yes, I use a pair of thick tweezers. You don't have the same risk of damage as with say a seconds pinion or a friction fit wheel since you are usually installing on a thick post or larger hour wheel. Plus the resistance is usually only felt towards the end once you have maneuvered the pinion into place...

Edited by rehajm

tweezers typically should work fine. There is one thing you do want to pay attention to end that would be ideally the minute wheel should not be in place. Sometimes it has to be there but it would be nice if it wasn't there. The reason for this is when you're snapping it on if the minute wheel is there it's possible to bend a minute wheel teeth which I've seen on minute wheels were the teeth are bent. Or worst-case you can actually shear one of the teeth off of the pinion. Yes I did that once I wasn't really happy some always mindful of your popping it in and the minute wheel is there make sure it has some place to go and doesn't damage something.

• Like 1

Hi like the rest of the guys I use tweezers, usually works ok,  A little tip is to put the watch in a large clear plastic bag when removing or fitting parts that are likely to disappear.  So get the magnet out and sweep the floor with it, failing that a pair of the wife’s tights on the end of the Vac Tube makes a good filter.   Good luck

19 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

tweezers typically should work fine. There is one thing you do want to pay attention to end that would be ideally the minute wheel should not be in place. Sometimes it has to be there but it would be nice if it wasn't there. The reason for this is when you're snapping it on if the minute wheel is there it's possible to bend a minute wheel teeth which I've seen on minute wheels were the teeth are bent. Or worst-case you can actually shear one of the teeth off of the pinion. Yes I did that once I wasn't really happy some always mindful of your popping it in and the minute wheel is there make sure it has some place to go and doesn't damage something.

John, good tip.  I'll add that to my checklist.  How are things in Seattle?  I grew up there and retired from Boeing and moved to Georgia.

Thanks.

19 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

18 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi like the rest of the guys I use tweezers, usually works ok,  A little tip is to put the watch in a large clear plastic bag when removing or fitting parts that are likely to disappear.  So get the magnet out and sweep the floor with it, failing that a pair of the wife’s tights on the end of the Vac Tube makes a good filter.   Good luck

Hmmm, how big a bag?  I'm trying to envision how that works, having to see through the bag and manipulate the tool.  But it sounds like a good idea.

I did the magnet thing but not the stocking idea 🙂

22 minutes ago, linux said:

John, good tip.  I'll add that to my checklist.  How are things in Seattle?  I grew up there and retired from Boeing and moved to Georgia.

Thanks.

Hmmm, how big a bag?  I'm trying to envision how that works, having to see through the bag and manipulate the tool.  But it sounds like a good idea.

I did the magnet thing but not the stocking idea 🙂

A ziplock bag, its clear so you will able to see what you are doing ok. A CP removal tool on the outside would also  give the cannon pinion a little membrane protection and grip. I cant say I've ever used the idea but it sounds a good solution to lost parts.

4 hours ago, linux said:

How are things in Seattle?

Seattle used to be such a nice place but now the politicians have had their way and have destroyed the city. fortunately I'm only a couple of blocks from the northern border side barely have to drive into the city at all. Which is painfully slow by the way as they decided for safety reasons that the speed limit should be 25 almost everywhere in the city. so basically streets that used to be between 30 and 40 are now 25 and residential streets are even slower. But don't worry as all the police officers have left for variety reasons your chances of getting a speeding ticket are nonexistent.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I always put a dab of molykote grease on the post before installing.  Not sure anybody ever told me to do that, so maybe I am wrong.

I prefer 9504 for the lubrication. I was going to mention that yesterday but conveniently the tech sheet I had didn't really show a clear image of that so I just let it slide.

Then in some other discussion group there was a very heated argument between me and somebody else as to whether you do that at all. He had book evidence or at least mention the author who said you do not because you need friction. But everybody else in the group was agreeing with me that they use grease before putting the cannon pinion on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I always put a dab of molykote grease on the post before installing.  Not sure anybody ever told me to do that, so maybe I am wrong.

Yeah, I saw that on a video a couple days ago, thanks.

6 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Seattle used to be such a nice place but now the politicians have had their way and have destroyed the city...

I've heard that.  I lived in Broadview at about 124th and 3rd, far enough away where there wasn't much crime but after living there for nearly 60 years the rain finally wore me down in addition to the taxes.  Summers are brutal in the south but the other 3 seasons can't be beat.

• Like 2