Do You Guys Change The Oil In The Oil Pot Every Week?

Hi guys, I just read the pratical lubrication of clocks and watches by BHI and in the document it stated that it is good practice to clean oil pots and replenish with fresh oil every week. So that makes me wondering is it necessary to change every week? The last time i clean my oil pot, replenish new oil was two months ago. Since then i haven't touch it. But currently i have a eta to service so I'm not sure whether should i or should i not change the oil in the oil pot. Thanks.

Yes - it is indeed best practice to clean the oil pots out once a week or sooner if you notice dust contamination, I know some watch repairers who clean the pots out every day.

• Like 2

I only clean out my oil pots if I notice contamination of any sort in them. I do check thoroughly with a loupe each time before lubricating a movement.

Yes - it is indeed best practice to clean the oil pots out once a week or sooner if you notice dust contamination, I know some watch repairers who clean the pots out every day.

Ok thanks mark and geo! I shall check my oil pot to see is there any dust contamination before oiling! Many thanks!

For me it comes down to contamination and not deterioration, (after all most oils have a shelf life of 5 or 6 years if they are fresh so they're not going to go off in the pot), and therefore how many watches I have done and how long the lid has been off the pot.

Someone earning a living at servicing and repairing watches could well have the oil pot opening and closing all day every day. Each time it is opened there is an opportunity for microscopic airborne particles to settle in the oil and by the end of the week the oil would merit changing.

My own habit as an amateur tends to be a bit sporadic depending on my work demands, so there are times when I get to do several watches in quick succession, and times when I don't get to touch a screw driver for weeks  :( so like Geo I will assess the oil in the pot every time. I do only put out very small amounts in the pot so when I get busy I tend to use it up before throwing it.

If you cleaned and replenished your pots a couple of months ago and the lids have remained in place ever since then I would go with what is in the pots, it should still be as clean as the day it went in.

• Like 2