I'm aware that this may start an argument akin to the many lubrication discussions, but I ran out of Rodico yesterday and living in the Middle East it takes about 2 weeks to get any deliveries (minimum) unless I am lucky enough that Amazon UAE has it in stock.... long story short... I decided to use some Blue Tack I had in a draw, and I have to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between how it performed and how Rodico performs. It picked up parts without leaving any visible trace and even mopped up any oil/grease over-spill and I even used it to pick the odd speck of dust off the dial... all without bringing on the 'end of times'.

Just curious to know if anyone else had tried it and had any better or worse experiences, I will continue to use it until the Rodico I already have on order turns up, but unless I see a downside I may not order Rodico again.

Ok. All the Swiss trained watchmakers will be up in arms. But I have been using a mixture of Rodico and Faber Castell brand "blu tack". I learnt that from my mentor and he learnt it from his Swiss master.

And instead of using a huge blob of it in your fingers, we wind a small piece on the tip of a peg wood, just like a Q-tip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Waggy said:

I'm aware that this may start an argument akin to the many lubrication discussions, but I ran out of Rodico yesterday and living in the Middle East it takes about 2 weeks to get any deliveries (minimum) unless I am lucky enough that Amazon UAE has it in stock.... long story short... I decided to use some Blue Tack I had in a draw, and I have to be honest I couldn't tell the difference between how it performed and how Rodico performs. It picked up parts without leaving any visible trace and even mopped up any oil/grease over-spill and I even used it to pick the odd speck of dust off the dial... all without bringing on the 'end of times'.

Just curious to know if anyone else had tried it and had any better or worse experiences, I will continue to use it until the Rodico I already have on order turns up, but unless I see a downside I may not order Rodico again.

Yes tried blue tack its definitely more tacky and have ended up picking it out of watchparts in the past. I'm sure it has its place, also tried some rodico from China which is more stiff and rubbery . 

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

All the Swiss trained watchmakers will be up in arms.

not necessarily I'm Swiss and I have it on my bench access think I have both of them whatever I can find in the shop. Then is not just Swiss strained somebody once wrote an article or the horological times explaining exactly how to dispense it see you don't get oils mixed into it they basically put it in a brass tube and then injected out in little pieces I can't rep you hold it with your tweezers or how that worked and that's promptly thrown away. The excitement they have is it absorbs things and unlike a sponge there's no way to squeeze out what it's absorbed so it can leave a fine residue behind and that would allow oil to spread. On the other hand is still works really good at picking up stuff and taking fingerprints off things.

2 hours ago, Waggy said:

Rodico

then clarifications are needed which version are you using? Notice they have two versions.

https://www.bergeon.swiss/catalogsearch/result/?q=Rodico

2 hours ago, Waggy said:

I'm aware that this may start an argument akin to the many lubrication discussions

oh dear you're promoting an argument about lubrication. At least that's what it looks like by the wording above.

In days gone by they used a rolled up piece of bread to mop up anything, Blutack is in effect Rodico, except Rodico has less oil in it so it is able to mop it up better.

I think the idea of using blutack until you have some Rodico was a really good idea. If I find something works for me, sod what anyone else thinks about it!

• Like 2