Hello all

DBROWN

Hello all,

I just discovered watchmaking and I’m going to jump in with both feet.  Some how some videos from Wristwatch Revival got into my YouTube feed and I binged. My first thought was I didn’t even know you could do that your self. My next thought was “you can drop serious coin on fancy specialized tools? I’m in!”  I know Marshall makes it all look easier than it is IRL. 

I’ve been a woodworker (self taught) for 20 years. I went through a phase were I bought and restored old tools so I’m into vintage mechanical  things. Due to current life circumstances I only have the space and resources for a small shop and can’t really do the work I really want to do so I’m at a crossroads.   Enter watchmaking. If I liquidate all of my woodworking assets I should have about $2000+ to put into some tools and a project watch. The dream is a vintage Omega or Rolex.  

I know zero about watches so I plan on springing for the online classes.

Wish me luck and watch me crash and burn spectacularly. 😆

Darren Brown

Edited by DBROWN
Typo

Welcome, our host her, Mark has some excellent courses online, look at watchfix.com. You probably should get a couple of tens of unimportant inexpensive watches under your belt before hitting something like Omega and the ilk. Boy you thought spending money on woodworking tools was up there, this can be eye watering 😳

Hey Tom,

I'm not planning to jump right in to a Rolex or Omega, no worries.  That's the ultimate goal.  Like anything else you have to get the reps in.  I feel like if you have a mechanical mind and good hands, then simple rebuilds, cleaning and lubrication won't require endless practice (although it certainly won't hurt).

• Like 1