Bought a non working 7S26A movement from speedtimerkollection to practice reassembly on. Second movement I’ve worked on so far. I’ve yet to clean and oil the 6497-2 Chinese clone but after waiting three weeks for this package to be inspected by Customs at the airport Post Office warehouse, could not resist  the lure of the Seiko.

Found a foreign object - some sort of pin, jammed in the center wheel.

62024BE8-7429-4C3E-8CAE-0BD43AE533F5.jpeg

9D8AE11F-054C-4929-8D55-2394FEE83635.jpeg

Also a balance spring in need of some work. 
Apologies for the poor photo quality. Taken with a cellphone camera held over the the eyepiece of my microscope. 

DE225C23-81FD-40AF-83F8-B47BBA5EF378.jpeg

On 9/6/2022 at 2:32 AM, JohnFrum said:

Bought a non working 7S26A movement from speedtimerkollection to practice reassembly on. Second movement I’ve worked on so far. I’ve yet to clean and oil the 6497-2 Chinese clone but after waiting three weeks for this package to be inspected by Customs at the airport Post Office warehouse, could not resist  the lure of the Seiko.

Found a foreign object - some sort of pin, jammed in the center wheel.

62024BE8-7429-4C3E-8CAE-0BD43AE533F5.jpeg

9D8AE11F-054C-4929-8D55-2394FEE83635.jpeg

Also a balance spring in need of some work. 
Apologies for the poor photo quality. Taken with a cellphone camera held over the the eyepiece of my microscope. 

DE225C23-81FD-40AF-83F8-B47BBA5EF378.jpeg

It looks suspiciously like a stem release screw that i would see on a swiss movement. The head would be on the dial side, the thread would be fastened to a release bar holding the stem in position. Did the stem fall out ? Is the very end threaded ? If not threaded then it may have broken off from somewhere.

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1

Like @Neverenoughwatchessays, it looks like a setting lever screw, but, I've just looked at the pics I took when I cleaned a 7S26, and they don't have one.  The setting lever just sits on a pin (see pic). Could it be this pin which has come out ?

image.thumb.png.de54b5772aeec14bcaf569926fef2536.png

Also, It's hard to see what's going on with the hairspring in such a small pic. But it looks like the terminal curve needs a tweak near the stud, so that it looks like the pic above from @grsnovi

image.png.cc5852825e08f8b73bb58b34d24b9c34.png

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikepilk said:

Like @Neverenoughwatchessays, it looks like a setting lever screw, but, I've just looked at the pics I took when I cleaned a 7S26, and they don't have one.  The setting lever just sits on a pin (see pic). Could it be this pin which has come out ?

image.thumb.png.de54b5772aeec14bcaf569926fef2536.png

Also, It's hard to see what's going on with the hairspring in such a small pic. But it looks like the terminal curve needs a tweak near the stud, so that it looks like the pic above from @grsnovi

Well spotted mike, the end curve does need some straightening out. As regards to your mystery pin Gert the Seiko sensai will almost certainty know where that has come from, he knows most Seikos inside out. If he spots your question he may give you a hint. Otherwise a datasheet on the 7s26 you will find it there if it belongs. Post up a close up taken on your phone with the macro setting on please.

• Thanks 1

it would be nice if you'd laid the mystery part next to a millimeter scale so we can see the size. Without a size reference I get to guess it could be one of the dial feet.  then the main plate looking straight down we can't see something we need a slight angle to see what I need to see. Normally like the minute we'll post shouldn't come out. There's also another post that I'd have to look tech sheet the see what it actually hold slaves to posted it could be even though normally they would not fall. It doesn't quite look right for a screw but we don't have a good size reference to know what it is

• Thanks 1

Depending on your browser/OS, if you two-finger/right click on the image, and select "Open Image in New Tab", you should then have the option to ENHANCE! and make the image much larger.

Upon doing so, we will all realize that it's not a screw. It's been a while since I've fiddled the guts of a 7S26X, but I definitely can't place it. I've never seen a cleanly divorced dial foot, but if I had to guess, that's what I think it'd probably look like. Could also be a pin that's come off some plate or another, but the ring around the one end... OP is going to have to return to shed more light on the situation.

Edited by spectre6000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a look though the tech sheet (attached) and can see no clear reference to the part illustrated

1 hour ago, spectre6000 said:

but the ring around the one end

Looks like a point for a clip.  I have seen loose dial feet and that is not dissimilar the grooved part being closest to the dial. I believe they are friction/vibration welded to the raw dial. Better pictures and from different angles may help.

Seiko 7S26A, 7S36A.pdf

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Yep, I agree, looks like a dial foot

image.png.47636aa2fb2b02df981bc0d84e9a2322.png

Bingo one broken dial foot, good call specky. This marked area looks like where the dial screw has touched. An inspection of the rear of the dial with one dial foot missing will maybe just maybe confirm this 🤔.   I kid you not i am loony tunes.

1 hour ago, grsnovi said:

I guess I jumped to the conclusion that it was a pin to anchor the hairspring because I've had one come out and wasn't excited about dealing with it. They are taper pins anyway...

I now like the dial foot idea that @spectre6000 suggests.

I cant say I'd be too thrilled about it either G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grsnovi said:

I guess I jumped to the conclusion that it was a pin to anchor the hairspring because I've had one come out and wasn't excited about dealing with it. They are taper pins anyway...

I now like the dial foot idea that @spectre6000 suggests.

I happen to have so completely borked a few Seiko hairsprings that I happen to know they're anchored from the factory in a slug with shellac, and that slug is anchored to the cock with a screw.

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Are those sand people shooting at Luke's landspeeder? And Tarzan the Presenter.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

I happen to have so completely borked a few Seiko hairsprings that I happen to know they're anchored from the factory in a slug with shellac, and that slug is anchored to the cock with a screw.

Are those sand people shooting at Luke's landspeeder? And Tarzan the Presenter.

I like to mix and match my movies. If i was a film director they would be most bizarre fims ever. 😄

8 minutes ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I like to mix and match my movies. If i was a film director they would be most bizarre fims ever. 😄

Would you believe people have actually paid me to work on their homes for over 30 years. Poor unwitting fools 🙂

23 minutes ago, Shane said:

It looks like a disembodied end of a spring loaded watchband retaining pin, after having a long hard life.

It even looks as if it's nickel plated brass.

Shane

Behave Shane you're making things a bit far fetched now 😅

25 minutes ago, Shane said:

It looks like a disembodied end of a spring loaded watchband retaining pin, after having a long hard life.

It even looks as if it's nickel plated brass.

Shane

So the OP now has to choose from a hairspring stud, a stem release screw, a setting lever screw, a dial foot and a knackered spring bar. On top of that dealing with an ape raised starwars narrator and fusion powered land speeders under fire. Johnfrum are you there mate ? John, John. 🤦‍♂️

12 hours ago, mikepilk said:

image.thumb.png.de54b5772aeec14bcaf569926fef2536.pngAlso, It's hard to see what's going on with the hairspring in such a small pic. But it looks like the terminal curve needs a tweak near the stud, so that it looks like the pic above from @grsnovi

Will attempt the manipulation after I clean the parts. Absolutely filthy. Both ends of a swab were blackened by just light rubbing on the train/barrel bridge. The jewels are caked in black muck.  
Will attach the balance to the mainplate, and give it a few minutes in the ultrasonic cleaner in a jar of petroleum ether. 

1 minute ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Haha. Thats way to close now. Are we looking at a coconut? 

I am in the Caribbean. But no, just a piece of pithwood