Servicing/Repairing a Timex Dynabeat

I have a Timex Dynabeat that requires some work. I've had the watch for a bit and the watch has been acting up lately.

It developed a loud ticking noise when the dial is face up. When it is placed face down the noise goes away. Plus it will stop randomly from time to time. Although a shake will get it running again.

I've taken the watch to a couple of watchmakers near my area. They all said it needs to be serviced but they didn't want to work on it.

What are my options as far as getting it serviced? If anyone can point me to someone who can help me out that would be great.

Thank you.

20220815_102331.jpg

• Like 1

Wow! A telephone dial Dynabeat. I've never seen one of those.

Dynabeats are a strange beast. They were pre-quartz era, battery powered mechanical balance watch. Not many watchmakers will take on such a repair.

So, what do you wish to do on this forum? Do you wish to learn how to service this Dynabeat yourself or are you looking for someone to service it for you?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SergioG said:

What are my options as far as getting it serviced? If anyone can point me to someone who can help me out that would be great.

7 minutes ago, HectorLooi said:

So, what do you wish to do on this forum? Do you wish to learn how to service this Dynabeat yourself or are you looking for someone to service it for you?

If you're not yet comfortable rebuilding your own movement, replacement movements might be available for negotiation.  Either way someone here may be able to help.

Shane 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Wow! A telephone dial Dynabeat. I've never seen one of those.

Dynabeats are a strange beast. They were pre-quartz era, battery powered mechanical balance watch. Not many watchmakers will take on such a repair.

11 hours ago, Shane said:

If you're not yet comfortable rebuilding your own movement, replacement movements might be available for negotiation.  Either way someone here may be able to help.

Shane 

I don't have the experience to try and work on these. My best bet is to find someone to work on it or finding a replacement movement.

13 hours ago, Shane said:

What causes the loud ticking noise and how do you repair it?

Regds

I forgot to quote you first.

Usually loud ticking (in this type of movement) is from to much end shake on the balance wheel.  You adjust it by tightening one of the screws holding down the balance bridge just a bit more than feels comfortable (checking end shake as you go).  It may seem crude not to have just bottomed the screw out and adjust end shake some other way but it is very clever, it works like a belleville spring washer and holds the screw tight against the threads in one direction and doesn't let it vibrate loose.  As you tighten that screw and it warps the plate and reduces end shake.

Shane 

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

What causes the loud ticking noise and how do you repair it?

1447789573_20200417_145318.jpg.6ce95c18d12f107ef3ae04c5abdb679f2.thumb.jpg.da8e1b5e09b546ab4a721d8859167930.jpg

Edited by Shane
  • Thanks 1

Place 10 or so Timex electrics on a flat table top and you will have the sound of a stampede.   This movements are just loud....

"find a donor"?  If you do find one and it is used how do you know it is any better?  Even if you find an NOS it has been in storage for decades and will require a service and than installation.  Sorry but with vintage Timex this option has limitations.

• Like 1