Technical Sheet for Elgin grade 269. Model 2

18 minutes ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

Is there anyone out there that has the technical sheet for an Elgin pocket watch grade 269 model 2. Size 0?

You're assuming that a technical sheet exists but he fact is, back then and still more recently,  nothing of of the like did exist.  Even the watchmaking books are skimpy on the subject of "servicing and lubrication,  they focus on much harde4 tasks. The reason is that repairers were supposed to know their trade well without printed guidance. An ability that sadly appears to be lost, and not only in watch repair.

Edited by jdm

1 minute ago, jdm said:

You're assuming that a technical sheet exists but he fact is, back then and still more recently,  nothing of of the like did exist.  Even the watchmaking books are skimpy on the subject of "servicing and lubrication,  they focus on much harde4 tasks. The reason is that repairers were supposed to know their trade well without printed guidance. An ability that sadly appears to be lost, and not only in watch repair.

Thank you. I secretly expected that reply, but hoped. Thanks for letting me know.

Just now, LittleWatchShop said:

I suppose you have already been here as a launching point.  Looks like you need a balance complete and cock...unless you have removed it.

Removed already. Seems to be an operating balance. Thank goodness.

Just now, NovaScotiaPete said:

Thank you. I secretly expected that reply, but hoped. Thanks for letting me know.

You are welcome. I completely support and appreciate anyone that like to get prepared by reading and studying before undertaking a practical task. Now, for (vintage) watches, the right material is old books, essays and similar. Most if not all are freely available on the Internet with just a bit of searching.

While there may not be a specific service guide for this movement, I suspect that you would find the old Chicago School of Watchmaking course handy. It will provide a lot of information on American pocket watch servicing. I believe it's available online somewhere in CD form. I have that, as well as the original hard copy. I think that will be your ticket. Good luck!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

since many of my watches are Elgin.

Elgin produced a hardcopy manual: "Elgin Genuine Materials" that contains the original part numbers (by grade) for the watches they produced. It does not contain any assembly/disassembly information.

12 hours ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

s there anyone out there that has the technical sheet for an Elgin pocket watch grade 269 model 2. Size 0?

the best of my knowledge I don't recall ever seeing a service guide or a technical guide for any American pocket watch at least vintage. There will be parts books but they don't cover repair that is covered the parts. As you can see above other people produced service information.

then even the U.S. Army was teaching pocketwatch repair and here's their book that you can download.

https://archive.org/details/TM9-1575

12 hours ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

Would help immensely if there is one

is there some specific piece of knowledge are looking for?

• Thanks 1

So much info. Who knew? Thank you.

No specific knowledge, just as much info as I can take in. This is my first project and I want it to be perfect. New mainspring just arrived and I have access to a donor movement if needed.

This is a nice 269 movement and watch. No seconds hand, which seems unusual for this model.

1 hour ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

This is my first project and I want it to be perfect.

You might want to recalibrate your expectations for a first project.

Remember: Perfection is the enemy of good enough.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

You might want to recalibrate your expectations for a first project.

Remember: Perfection is the enemy of good enough.

Ha ha. Well, I’ll try. Always strive for perfection.

Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence. ...

17 minutes ago, NovaScotiaPete said:

Well, I’ll try. Always strive for perfection.

OK, but just remember that as this is your first project it's very likely that your technique won't be perfect.

• A light touch with your tweezers will prevent small items from zipping off into never-neverland.
  • Even brand new screw drivers may not have the optimum tip needed.
  • Be careful with cleaning solutions. Prolonged immersion in IPA will dissolve shellac. Unless rinsed well some cleaning solutions will leave a residue on the part surfaces that may become problematic later.
  • Inspect all parts carefully for damage and wear. This includes all pivot jewels.
  • Never force a screw. If a screw needs to be forced maybe it is threaded opposite of your expectations.
  • When lubricating: less is usually better. You don't want excess oil and grease all over the place.

Enjoy!