Howdy!

Hello 👋

Newish watch repair hobbyist here, programmer by trade.

Decided to wet my beak by starting with Marks first three courses before deciding if this was seriously something I was interested in.

Well, I've finished the courses, purchased tools, and started dismantling my own watches before shopping around.  I picked a Junkers (Miyota 9132) as my first victim, many lessons learned.  Next watch was a vintage Rospin (EB 1332), and now on to a Raketa which feels much more familiar.

Here to share my successes, and failures that eventually turn in to questions and learning.  See ya 'round!

Best, Matt

• Like 2

This is the first post I read on this forum   I read killerfred's intro and that increased my confidence, then scrolling down I read grsnovi's reply and I was promptly bought back to reality.  Flying bits!   I'll intro later, but I am also seeing if this is something I want to continue on with.  Sounds good.  

• Like 1

Welcome Fred. Keep us updated on your progress along this journey.

31 minutes ago, Yande said:

This is the first post I read on this forum   I read killerfred's intro and that increased my confidence, then scrolling down I read grsnovi's reply and I was promptly bought back to reality.  Flying bits!   I'll intro later, but I am also seeing if this is something I want to continue on with.  Sounds good.  

Fear not. There are ways to deal with flying springs—baggies. For me, after 1.5 years, I don’t use baggies any more and never lose anything...takes time, patience, and attention to detail...

• Like 2

10 hours ago, killerfred3000 said:

Hello 👋

Newish watch repair hobbyist here, programmer by trade.

Decided to wet my beak by starting with Marks first three courses before deciding if this was seriously something I was interested in.

Well, I've finished the courses, purchased tools, and started dismantling my own watches before shopping around.  I picked a Junkers (Miyota 9132) as my first victim, many lessons learned.  Next watch was a vintage Rospin (EB 1332), and now on to a Raketa which feels much more familiar.

Here to share my successes, and failures that eventually turn in to questions and learning.  See ya 'round!

Best, Matt

Good man Matt and nice to meet you. A Raketa, you'll find this great to work on. Lacking finesse but robust, practical and reliable. Theres a few fans here of the old Russian movements  inc. Watchie and me. Theres a couple of videos kicking around recently posted about their factory and manufacturing, a little eye-opening if you are interested in that side of watchmaking young fella. And great to have some young blood join the group matey 👍 

8 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

patience, and attention to detail...

I feel this, sometimes my eagerness to make progress leads me to mistakes!  Like some dial scratches removing the sub second hand on my Raketa :sigh:

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Theres a couple of videos kicking around recently posted about their factory and manufacturing, a little eye-opening if you are interested in that side of watchmaking young fell

Sounds interesting, I'll definitely check it out when I get a chance.

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

And great to have some young blood join the group matey

Thank you, cheers!

45 minutes ago, killerfred3000 said:

I did that with the hour and minute hands but I found it was hard to get the bag and the tools underneath the tiny sub second hand.  

You maybe need to take the thickness of the levers down where they fit under the hands. Most dials will scratch very easily some even with a very soft sponge if they are laquered. Hand levers should always be used with either a poly bag or some kind of dial protector. Try to reign your keenness in, can be difficult i know when you are engrossed with a particular task. I've made some horrendous mistakes while rushing to get something finished. Never a good idea. 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1