OMEGA SEAMASTER.

hi all. i recently serviced a vintage omega sea master for a friend of mine and even though i had to source a part or two everything went swimmingly ; or so i thought!. after testing i gave it back and my friend was happy for a while, he even said it was keeping time with his quartz watch. then a week or two later he said the hour and minute hands would stop around the eight clock mark although the second hand kept merrily on. i took  it back and the mystery does exist. any ideas please?

36 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

vintage omega sea master

always nice to give us a model number as different models conceivably can have different problems and answers conceivably could change.

23 minutes ago, gbyleveldt said:

Loose cannon pinion

usually the secondhand is moving in the hour and minute hands are not Loose cannon pinion definitely a place to look except? They usually don't get loose all by themselves so how did the setting of the watch field before you put in the case? Sometimes you might have a borderline situation where it seems loose but it seems to work and then the reality is it's to use

38 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

any ideas please

38 minutes ago, berniethebolt said:

eight clock mark

does it totally stop and then how do you started back up again? You have to set of tests this or does it just temporarily stop or what exactly do you mean? Then visit stopped twice a day or only once a day?

At least one of the things with a stopping situation is it's much better than a intermediate situation that occurs seemingly randomly.

You also want to look at your hands for some reason may be they 8 o'clock marker is sticking up too high is the minute hand hitting anything. It's where the quote I have up above any ideas please without proper diagnostics which you have to do we get the gas. Like hand hitting in the 8 o'clock marking position where the markers stuck up or something

if there's nothing visible on the dial side that you can see is a problem you can take the movement out of the case and see if the problem goes away out of the case. Then remove the hands but make sure you note the position that there in because we need to put the hands back where you found them once the dial is off. At least you might put the hands back on otherwise you can carefully look at the dial side for any kind of damage.

Does the watch have a calendar? A lot of calendars don't like to be rapidly advanced at midnight usual procedure to tell people not to advance the calendar it's always conceivable of something is broken is floating around inside their of course it would help to know which movement this is.

• Like 1

One picture shows the date changing though the time is only 8.30  - What's happening there ?

As mentioned above, the fact that the second hand keeps moving suggests a cannon pinion problem.

This movement has an unusual feature - the "Date Corrector" which changes the date when you pull the crown. 
If not installed correctly (I didn't the first time) it can jam the date wheel 

Did you install it correctly - i.e. does the date change when you pull the crown out ? 

• Like 2

the date wheel has had it half of the numbers are missing and my friend does not want to replace it has he cant see the date anyway! as for the quickset it wont work because it has a split stem so i am going to remove the date indicator driving wheel and others and see if that fixes it!

If it always stops in the same position remove the dial and inspect the teeth of the hour wheel, minute wheel and cannon pinion for wear, distortion.

A loose canon pinion will have practically no resistance when hands are being set.

Anilv

• Like 1