Sacha

Sacha

Hello,

New here and looking for some advice regarding my grandpas old watch please

It is a Rolex and in terrible condition and so I was wondering whether it’s worth getting it working? This watch has been through both the Korean and Vietnam wars. 

2 minutes ago, Sacha said:

Hello,

New here and looking for some advice regarding my grandpas old watch please

It is a Rolex and in terrible condition and so I was wondering whether it’s worth getting it working? This watch has been through both the Korean and Vietnam wars. 

835967A2-3C4C-488A-8921-936C8A43F329.jpeg

A4343102-1FC9-46EB-A927-A4CB83069A72.jpeg

E140C902-E801-42E8-88ED-BE594051BCFC.jpeg

Hi with the watches history I would say a big yes, But getting it restored but not spoilt. The watch bears a lot of scars due to the life its led and should not  erased. A sympathetic restoration If one can find such a thing would be great, It will not be cheap but I think worth it to pass down theough the family with its memories.

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

It will not be cheap 

This is one of the not so frequent cases where an heirloom with significant history has also a remarkable market value from being by a big brand, great looking, men's automatic, in a word, desirable.

https://www.chrono24.it/rolex/bubble-back-bi-metal--id5640032.htm

A light, conservative restore doesn't have to be expensive, I don't see any casing part that needs to be replaced, so any reputable independent watchmaker will be glad to work on it. Sending it to Rolex (preferably Switzerland) could be three or more times more expensive, but still reasonable when all the above considered.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Sacha.

I got my Seiko restored as it was my first watch as a gift from my parents who are now both gone.

With the history and everything that goes with that watch, definitely get it going again. Not restored to 'as bought', but a 'sympathetic restoration' as @watchweasol said.

Keep us up to date. 🙂