seiko 6319A skips about 2 seconds every 5 or 6 seconds.

hi chaps, another noob question, I have sucessfully stripped cleaned and reassembled the above movement, and is running, however I noticed that about every 5 or 6 seconds the second hand does a 2 second jump forward. and the movement is gaining a lot. 

I have taken it apart again as thought it would be a damaged tooth that I had missed, however I have inspected them (both the teeth and leaves of the pinions) but cannot see any obvious damage.

Could it be damage that is too small to see (I use 10X magnification)  ? I do have a donor movement so am considering just swapping over the entire wheel chain.

Thanks again for your time! 

30 minutes ago, dismaldunc said:

I noticed that about every 5 or 6 seconds the second hand does a 2 second jump forward. and the movement is gaining a lot. 

Seems a lose hand, remove power and nudge it gently with a tootpick, see how firm it is.

I don't suppose you of access to a timing machine? In other words what is the watch doing as far as timekeeping goes versus what are the hands doing? Often times are not the same things so it be helpful to have a timing machine for diagnostic purposes.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dismaldunc said:

timegrapher app

By the way were both going to tell you the same thing. You have to be careful with the apps in that they don't always work well. So often times we've gone down the wrong path of helping people because the app indicated something that may or may not be there.

The physical timing machine the 1000 and the 1900 preferred do a much better job. That's because they have a decent Or reasonably decent pick up that does a much better job. Biggest problem with all the software-based machines are you have to have a really decent pick up to get what you're supposed to actually get from the watch. But still you can try that says everything looks fine it's probably not the running of the watch that it Possibly as a hand issue. 

Do you have a timegrapher? If so, can you post some pictures of the traces? I feel it must be a problem with your escape wheel (a damaged tooth, or bent pivot), so the pallet is not locking once per revolution. Then the escape wheel is doing a half-rotation or thereabouts, before locking again.

Written yesterday morning, but forgot to post! Maybe it still adds something, but you already got good service from others.

hi chaps, quick update, I tried using the iPhone app but even holding my breath in the silence of the night, it still said "to much noise"  I even made and printed a nice enclosure that was sealed around the phone but it still did not work reliably.

(I see a timegrapher in my future)

anyway I really could not see the issue, the teeth all looked good under my limited (X10) magnification, so I swapped out the escape wheel and its working great now (-30 seconds per day , which is good enough for me at the moment)

I feel very happy! 

thanks again for all your help !!! 

• Like 1

Yes that's been the experience with the apps They can be so very problematic. Where the timing machines whether it's a Chinese Or Swiss they can sometimes be fooled r they sometimes are having issues with something but you do work around the issues but that is just a really tiny percentage versus problematic it works at all. So yes timing machine purchase is well worth that anyone watch repair now really should have one.

• Like 1

my list of things I need keeps growing! current list , proper hand removers, the Chinese ones I got are useless,  a Bergeon movement holder (again bought Chinese) a microscope (not sure yet if im going digital or traditional) timegrapher, some D5 oil , nice oilers. 

I bought cheap and nasty to see if this hobby was fun, I'm deffo enjoying it so time to save up!