Introduction: hello all

Imaluckydad

Hello fellow travelers. I am just getting started on my new hobby and am setting limits to learning more about the movements themselves. I have a few quartz watches Iā€™ve enjoyed over the years and just replacing batteries and cleaning them is enough for me. I now have a few mechanical pieces which I got from my father in-law and want to experiment more. Ā Need to learn about cleaning parts and oiling them.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™ll be looking at otherĀ postings but if you can suggest some Iā€™d appreciate it.Ā 
Ā 

thanks

Ā 

Todd

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Did the balance run good with the old cock?Ā  if not, 1-Check if the roller table rubs on fork horns, in case you can,t verify anything visually, remove the fork . 2. Check end shake on balance. 3. See if H/S rubs on balance spokes or on underside of the cock or the coil fouls itself. Once you had the balance detached from the cock, you had a chance to check pivots for shortnessĀ  or bent or chipped pivots? You ought to check these now. Are you sure jewels in the setting are clean & fault free? Good luck
    • Wasnā€™t sure where to put this but Because of the problem I have with my hands ( gout in both )I have trouble holding things especially torsion clock hands to remove them, I have tried the usual tools but not impressed with them but to be fair one was for watch hands anyway I see an antique one on eBay so put a bid on it needless to say I was out bid but decided I could make something similar and I must say it works a treat, I decided to thread my one but it looks like the one on eBay was a push operation see last picture. Dell
    • Wearing a big lump of a watch today. Feels like i have a kettlebell on my wrist. Aw no and i promised no more bare leg shots šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø , good god our lass needs her legs shaving and before anyone asks no she didn't lay the watch on top of my head and take a picture šŸ˜…
    • I have a Bergeon set, a Chinese set, and and anonymous set (in aluminium), and all of the handles and winders are interchangeable. There are slight variations in the fit but essentially they all fit and work.
    • I made my own because most peopleā€™s hands are different so making your own means you get the most comfortable fit , just hardwood dowling brass tube and a length of HSS. Dell