Mido Ocean Star - removing the movement

GuyMontag

I have a Mido Ocean Star that is a front loader. I have removed the crystal and aligned the "Mido" on the crown so that it is horizontal to the case and tried tipping the movement out but it doesn't budge. I tried rotating the crown a full 360 degrees a few degrees at a time while vigorously tapping/shaking it to no effect.  I repeated with the crown in winding/setting positions with no luck.

After getting the crystal out I saw some gunk that I think may be crystal adhesive. It is in two spots but it doesn't look like it touched the dial so I don't think it's the adhesive preventing the movement from coming out the front (I did remove the adhesive).

Am I missing something obvious?

SSP_436.jpg

SSP_437.jpg

SSP_437.jpg

16 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

Am I missing something obvious?

Not all two pieces stems slide out, at least not easily, so they have to be pulled. 

But first try lifting very gently under the dial at 3 and 9, while rotating the crown. The mov.t has to move at least a little. 

48 minutes ago, GuyMontag said:

I have removed the crystal and aligned the "Mido" on the crown so that it is horizontal to the case and tried tipping the movement out but it doesn't budge. I tried rotating the crown a full 360 degrees a few degrees at a time while vigorously tapping/shaking it to no effect.  I repeated with the crown in winding/setting positions with no luck.

Where did you get this notion,  that the movement can neccesarily be tipped out if you align the Mido horizental.

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Not all two pieces stems slide out, at least not easily, so they have to be pulled. 

But first try lifting very gently under the dial at 3 and 9, while rotating the crown. The mov.t has to move at least a little. 

I'll give that a try. I have another Ocean Star that I was able to successfully remove the movement.

54 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Where did you get this notion,  that the movement can neccesarily be tipped out if you align the Mido horizental.

From the instruction printed on the Mido Ocean Star crystal lift tool:

TO INSERT MOVEMENT
1. Turn MIDO name on crown horizontally - lock up - crown pushed in,
2.Set stem in winding position with lock up.
3. Insert movement into case. Stem and crown interlock automatically.

TO INSERT CRYSTAL
1. Place crystal into open wrench. Lock wrench.
2. Place locked crystal over bezel.
3. Press wrench rim firmly down with both thumbs to seat crystal. Open wrench.

TO REMOVE CRYSTAL
1. Place watch on flat surface, dial up.
2. Insert split clamp into open wrench.
3. Place wrench over crystal; press down into position; squeeze handles until wrench locks.
4. Lift out crystal sideways - do not twist.

TO REMOVE MOVEMENT
1. Turn MIDO name on crown horizontally - dial up - crown pushed in.
2. Invert case, movement will come out.

However, the other Ocean Star that I was able to remove the movement the 'Mido' name was a good 20 degrees off horizontal, so who knows. I did try rotating the crown a few degrees at a time though and wasn't able to get the movement out.

On the other Mido that I did get the movement out, it tipped out about 70 degrees but didn't want to disengage from the split stem. While still locked together I looked at the stem under the scope and it was covered in some kind of caked-on goo. After cleaning that off I was able to get the movement to drop out. Perhaps that is the issue on this Mido too.

Edited by GuyMontag

On 12/31/2021 at 11:56 PM, GuyMontag said:

The other Ocean Star that I was able to remove the movement the 'Mido' name was a good 20 degrees off horizontal

That does not surprise me. For the crown logo to be aligned with the stem joint it would be needed that the stem thread is positioned precisely while the crown is at the correct distance at the same time, perhaps with tiny shims inside? Maybe they where able to do that at the factory, maybe not all the time, maybe the crown has been removed already, who knows. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just serviced one of these.  It is obvious that earlier repair persons did not obey the rules and just yanked the crown (split stem) off.  Probably multiple times.  Now there is only a slight bit of the tip of the split stem to hold on to the main stem.  I have found some NOS on ebay and will order a replacement.

I wish I had the Mido crystal tool. I had to use the "jaws of death" and they leave a residue of their visit.  But, this is a one-off repair for a friend...will probably never see another Mido.

On 12/31/2021 at 1:18 PM, jdm said:

Split stems can always present a problem.. Most of the time they will just pull apart. But some of them ideally should slide apart and failure to grasp that can be quite disastrous.

Then this discussion group has a search feature which works out handy for me so I don't have to repeat myself?

In the case of this watch if you pull really hard the stem will come out but you going to break the stem and getting the new components again can be quite challenging. This happened where I work the other watchmaker yanked it out standard procedure and then attempted to close the stem the fix the problem and broke part of the stamp so now it didn't work at all. It took one year to rectify the problem. In our particular case we need to buy replacement case off of eBay with the crown and then purchaser variety of the split stem that goes in the movement because it's not clear entirely which link you actually need and they come in a variety of lengths to correspond to the different cases.

Then as others have said there is zero guarantee that the crown will line up in some magical position it's best just to turn the watch upside down and slowly rotate it and hopefully it will slide hot the movement that is.

13 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

then attempted to close the stem the fix the problem and broke part of the stamp so now it didn't work at all. It took one year to rectify the problem. In our particular case we need to buy replacement case off of eBay with the crown and then purchaser variety of the split stem that goes in the movement because it's not clear entirely which link you actually need and they come in a variety of lengths to correspond to the different cases.

I  broke an ETA split stem (sorry can't remember the caliber now) of a watch that is of sentimental value for me, and at some point it seemed I could have found it on Ebay but in the end there were no more. I have been thinking of trying to make one on the lathe and milling machine but that also seems more easily said than done. Moral, don't break the split stems!

44 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I wish I had the Mido crystal tool. I had to use the "jaws of death" and they leave a residue of their visit.  But, this is a one-off repair for a friend...will probably never see another Mido.

No, no, no claws! Get a Seiko crystal wrench or similar, these are a must for monocoque cases.

12 minutes ago, jdm said:

No, no, no claws! Get a Seiko crystal wrench or similar, these are a must for monocoque cases.

On the one hand I say. "Another tool???????!!!!!" but on the other" "Yeah!!  Another tool."

I am searching for the Seiko at one of the US suppliers...no luck yet.  Would the Mido tool serve other brands?

2022-04-04 16_30_03-Crystal Accessories — Mozilla Firefox.png

14 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I am searching for the Seiko at one of the US suppliers...no luck yet.

Of course the S-14 has been long discontinued.

14 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Would the Mido tool serve other brands?

They are very similar and would work on any watch where crystal that protrudes like 2mm or more. But the Seiko covers more sizes.

A little frustrating, I guess.  Even Bergeon does not sell a lift of this style...looks like a real opportunity for them to charge $1800 for another tool...lol

Looks like I can find the Mido tool.  I may just buy it and start collecting Ocean Star watches...even though...at this point, I hate this watch...but I will get over it in time.