Issue with watch winding mechanism?

WA123231

Hello. I hope someone can help me shed some light on this. My watch below was working fine until a few days ago. Now when I wind the watch (Move the winder in the below picture clockwise while its pushed in) it just keeps winding without reaching a point where it doesn't move anymore. The second hand does not move and it seems the watch is not ticking. The thing is, when I give the winder just a little (very slight) turn counter clock wise wise having it in the open position (as see in the below picture) the second hand start turning and it seems like the watch starts running. Can someone help me understand what can be going on here under the hood. Thank you.

1.jpg

It could be a few things: a mechanical default somewhere in the keyless works (the linkages and transmission which allow the stem to engage its setting-mode or its winding-mode) or you may have a broken mainspring.

May I ask: how long will it stay running when you pull out the stem and turn it slightly, as you describe?

1 hour ago, WA123231 said:

it just keeps winding without reaching a point where it doesn't move anymore. 

If you   "hear the click when trying to wind "    but watch wont wind, you have a broken mainspring. 

Favre leuba made some twin barrel movements, can you show a image of the movement? 

Regs

Hi. Some answers to the above questions. If I have the winder out and give it a very slight pressure counter clock wise, the second hand moved for 3 minutes without stopping before I let go of the pressure.  I'm sure it would have gone longer if I kept the pressure. In terms of the watch movement I've attached the picture. Thank you for your help with this. I am hoping there is a do it yourself fix (I'm not holding my breath) but if not  your help to get a sense of what's going on would let me know what it would take to fix it. Also, if someone can let me know how to find out the specific model/year of the watch that would be very helpful. I suppose you can guess I'm not a expert at this. Thank you.

2.png

39 minutes ago, WA123231 said:

do it yourself fix

There is a do it yourself fix.  Disassemble the watch, open the mainspring barrel.  Remove the mainspring.  Measure it.  Order a replacement.  Install the new mainspring into the barrel.  Reassemble the watch.  Wind and watch.

Having said that, if this is the first time you have opened a watch, I suggest that you buy some tools, take Mark's course, buy some junk watches on ebay.  Complete a few projects.  THEN, work on your watch.

I assume that your problem is a broken mainspring.

2 hours ago, WA123231 said:

If I have the winder out and give it a very slight pressure counter clock wise, the second hand moved for 3 minutes without stopping before I let go of the pressure.  I'm sure it would have gone longer if I kept the pressure. 

This in way eliminates broken gear teeth therefor confirms a mainspring issue, either a broken mainspring or dislodged arbour catch-spring eye. 

No power gets reserved to be transferred onto the train.  

When you make it run as you do, you are supplying power through the canon pinion.

6 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I assume that your problem is a broken mainspring.

That was going to be my answer it sounds like a broken mainspring.

I don't suppose you know the last time the watch was serviced?

You can change the mainspring but if the watches never been serviced it probably could use a good cleaning.

7 hours ago, WA123231 said:

I am hoping there is a do it yourself fix

It is not, it has to be given to a watchmaker. Unfortunately, the repair cost will likely exceed the material value of the watch.

7 hours ago, WA123231 said:

Also, if someone can let me know how to find out the specific model/year of the watch that would be very helpful.

A Favre-Leuba made around 1950, with an FHF 70xx mov.t. The "exact" model may be difficult to determine even for an expert, companies changed small details all the time.

Hello again and thanks. So from what I am seeing people feel its a mainspring issue. With that in mind I have a few more questions.

I do want to get this fixed and I'm not sure the last the time watch was serviced. I'm assuming its been a while.

Can someone estimate (the watch was working fine until I must have done something wrong in terms of the winding) the cost of the watch as well as a estimate for a repair (best guess). At the end of the day though I do want to get it running and in good order because of what the watch means personally. That's probably why I should also not attempt to do this myself.

Is this something that should be taken to a specific type of place that specializes or can any repeatable watch repair location do it. Sorry I'm just not that familiar with this.

34 minutes ago, WA123231 said:

Can someone estimate (the watch was working fine until I must have done something wrong in terms of the winding) the cost of the watch as well as a estimate for a repair (best guess)

About 50 Euro, and starting at 150 respectively.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi so I'm back with a few more help requests. Yes, the main spring was broken at the tip around the arbor  and PS if it was salvageable that went out the window with some actions on my part. Also I lost the click spring for good measure. I also lost the arbor and some screws about 10-15 times along the way but at this point, I just need a main spring and click spring.

So based on what was mentioned here and some looking around, the watch is a Favre Leuba 'Sandow' Sub Sec Dial model (1940/1950 ish). Screen shots in some of the above posts.

I'm not looking at top notch time keeping, I just want to get it working reasonably well. I was quoted today about 200 CAD for the spring and there was not much interest in trying to get it for me as it stands so I may be on my own. I suppose the watch was looked at as a lost cause but its important to me.

My question is, is it possible to get a main spring for this watch and a click spring. Does the main spring have to be the exact spring for this watch or something similar if I just want it to run reasonably well. Is it possible to get a replacement click spring. I can't even fathom how they make things that small and delicate. I'm just not sure where or how to get these parts. I'm pretty sure with them the watch will run again. 

Can I get some advice please. Are there sites on line that would deal with people in my situation and work with me on getting what I need? Would anyone be able to point me to stuff online that match my criterial in terms of parts or a similar watch where I can get the parts.

Thank you.

It's almost certain that you will be able to source the parts that you need but you're going to have to help us out with the movement ID. Are there any letters, numbers, or symbols stamped on the main plate underneath the balance?

Can you post a closer up photo of the movement than the one further back in this thread?

Deputy Barney Fife said: "There are three rules in this jail.  The first rule is to obey all rules..."

I wish you would have practiced on something less important to you like I suggested.

Click springs are easy.  Most shaped like shepherd's staff and with varying strengths.  Something like this.  If one is not exact, tweak it. I have several hundred...they come in handy!

You can measure your current spring if you have the equipment to do so accurately.  Then you can order a generic spring based on length, strength, end type, height.  There are experts on this forum who will chime in with the specifics--I am an amateur.

Did you lose the arbor forever?  Nothing evaporates.  They are ferromagnetic.  Get on your knees with a magnet and a flashlight...it is the right of passage.

5 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I wish you would have practiced on something less important to you like I suggested.

Learning is an interesting process we all learn differently. Most of us will try to discourage newbies from working on things they shouldn't but there's a limit of how far we can push that. It's really hard to tell people sometimes that they should Not work on things they just don't want to accept.

This is where the painful expensive lessons come in where hopefully they will learn.

• Like 1

I think the best solution in this matter is just to figure out the caliber number and simply order the parts.

At Cousins or any other watch material house.

By the looks of it is is a FHF movement these have the model number behind the dial.

Or an AS it is either one of these and the parts you need are easily obtainable.

2 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Deputy Barney Fife said: "There are three rules in this jail.  The first rule is to obey all rules..."

Click springs are easy.  Most shaped like shepherd's staff and with varying strengths.  Something like this.  If one is not exact, tweak it. I have several hundred...they come in handy!

You can measure your current spring if you have the equipment to do so accurately.  Then you can order a generic spring based on length, strength, end type, height.  There are experts on this forum who will chime in with the specifics--I am an amateur.

Did you lose the arbor forever?  Nothing evaporates.  They are ferromagnetic.  Get on your knees with a magnet and a flashlight...it is the right of passage.

Hi. Thanks this is very helpful and yes I looked before I leapt but did learn allot over the last few weeks. Those click springs look like the one from my watch. Also thanks for the input on the spring. At the end of the day I found the arbor so I just need a replacement main spring and I myself lost the click spring by accident when I was putting back in the click.

2 hours ago, Tony13 said:

I think the best solution in this matter is just to figure out the caliber number and simply order the parts.

By the looks of it is is a FHF movement these have the model number behind the dial.

Or an AS it is either one of these and the parts you need are easily obtainable.

Thanks. I just wanted to know if in general this was something that was within well reason for me to put some work into and get the parts.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

It's almost certain that you will be able to source the parts that you need but you're going to have to help us out with the movement ID. Are there any letters, numbers, or symbols stamped on the main plate underneath the balance?

Can you post a closer up photo of the movement than the one further back in this thread?

Hi. I hope this is a clearer picture. The thing is I'm not sure I'm in the best postion to take apart anymore from this stage if that is what is needed to get to that movement ID.

Movement.jpg

2 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

They are incredibly easy to lose.  One trick is to put the movement in a baggie and poke a hole in the bag to release or insert the spring.  If it takes flight...it stays in the bag.

Actually. That is a really good idea. Thanks.

2 hours ago, Tony13 said:

Thanks for the input. Its helpful.

• Like 1