AtomicGrog

Hi, I joined forum a few days ago having subscribed to Mark's course a month or so ago.

Looking forward to what I hope will become a new hobby. Getting a little old in the tooth now and past the car/bike/fishing phases (for now..), kids are now grown up so whilst I'm not exactly exuding cash I have more to play around with than I did a few years ago.

Background... bit of a mixed bag. I left school at 16, did an excellent electrical/electronic apprenticeship with the MOD in the UK, moved from there to communications QA and onwards to computer management in the finance/trading world. Am currently whats called a 'Solution Architect' which is grandiose but doesn't give me the hands on... I love to fix problems, and find out how things work.

In Aus now, building up a set of initial tools based on the course content and forums advice, hopefully it wont all disappear in the post due to overseas shipping during Covid, certainly takes longer.

Goals are to fiddle with watches, based on what I said above, ideally to find ones for sale that are broken and worth fixing, to resell an repeat. Maybe once in a while keeping one for myself. Not really doing it to for money but breaking even would be a nice bonus (but seems a stretch considering the outlay I expect...)

Many thanks, I've already purchased a few tools from Cousins, UK but one area I want to look further into is the Loupe's. I've worn glasses for most of my life so at the least I'll have to have the kind that attach to glasses but I'd be interested in peoples thoughts around the dual lensed microscopes. I'll look through forums later to see what's been discussed prior.

8 hours ago, AtomicGrog said:

I've worn glasses for most of my life.

If that is because of myopia, try working without glasses or eyepiece. You may be surprised about the much you can do this way.

8 hours ago, AtomicGrog said:

I'll look through forums later to see what's been discussed prior.

It has, see below our pinned topic. However in my opinion a microscope is not one of the first tools that a beginner needs. Very many other issues and skills need to be taken care before.

Welcome to the forum.

I wear glasses as well. If you want to use a bilateral magnifying loupe, you will need to use your glasses unless your prescription for your glasses is exactly the same for both eyes. If it isn't, your glasses correct your vision, the bilateral loupe will then do the magnifying.

My loupe also has an extra swing down magnifier which I use over my left eye, my dominant eye. Once you get used to it, you can actually concentrate on what your dominant eye and what it sees even if you have your other eye open. I find that keeping one eye closed all the time is very tiring.

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement.

Funny thing is I have worn glasses from the age of four. I have what is called a lazy eye which is my right eye. I never wore my glasses when it came to watch making because I used my eye glass with my left eye which has excellent vision.