rubs3488

Hey 

I am ruben
i am new to the watch making section
i just picked up my first watch to repair after seeing 50 video's on youtube i thought i would give it a go
and 30 minutes later. i am already stuck on the repair
if your wondering what kind of watch i am still wondering too so anything you have please let me know
i would love to learn more about it , what kind of movement it has i think a (tissot cal 27a?)

i would love to read your reactions
until next time

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 6.01.51 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-12-14 at 5.50.36 PM.jpeg

17 hours ago, rubs3488 said:

what kind of movement it has i think a (tissot cal 27a?)

Welcome here. That is a quality mov.t and watch. As a complete beginner, with no experience and no tools it's practically certain that you can only do damage by messing with it. Save yourself the frustration, hindsight wisdom doesn't repair past mistakes. Leave it alone for the time being, and learn first on something of no or little value es explained in the topic below

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rubs3488 said:

It is already broken

Sorry, you don't even know what is "broken". Even if if you knew, most likely you would not be able to repair it anyway with no tools, no parts, and no knowledge.

I believe that part of the "watch repair enthusiast" culture is to accept oneself limits and not inflict unnecessary damage, no matter how little one has paid a nice watch like this.

In all events, I wish you good luck and perhaps we will see where you get in one week, then one year from now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, rubs3488 said:

but when do you think i will be ready for repairing this watch ?

After you will be able to take apart, clean, lubricate and put back together a cheap watch that is working, even if not perfectly. That without loosing or breaking anything.

For someone it takes one or two attempts, for others more. The topic about which watches one should start with is linked above, the below is about the few tools you need from the get go. The most important thing is the posture, you need good light and the work about at armpits height.

Below about the tools you need from the get go

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jdm said:

work about at armpits height.

Very true, I get a sore back when using a loupe for any length of time on a regular bench. For my back's sake I now use a microscope or kneel on the floor when using a loupe (knees on a kneeler). 

PS I'm probably not as old as I sound!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Plato said:

For my back's sake I now use a microscope or kneel on the floor when using a loupe (knees on a kneeler). 

I have an electric height adjustable table and I just couldn't do without it. When I need to use an eye loupe (using my jeweling tool or Jacot tool) I simple raise the table. It really facilitates the work and saves my back.

33 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

I have an electric height adjustable table and I just couldn't do without it. When I need to use an eye loupe (using my jeweling tool or Jacot tool) I simple raise the table. It really facilitates the work and saves my back.

Sounds nice, but expensive?! 

11 hours ago, Plato said:

Sounds nice, but expensive?! 

It's not a dedicated "Made by Bergeon table" (that would probably cost a fortune) but a simple office table that looks a bit like below, although electrified and wider. Got it for about $100 from an office that was replacing all their furniture and wanted to get rid of their old stuff as quickly a possible. They even threw in an advanced office chair in the deal. Everything in condition like new! 😁

image.png.13fdfe0e7468a274b692355858135aa4.png

• Like 1

Hi you have recieved some very sound advice based on knowledge and experiance and would do well to heed it.  As ldm said get a cheap working movement and practice, This not only hones the skill but as you are engaged in the task you will pick up some tools which are required for watch repair. Once you feel confident to tackle the Tissot go ahead, its a quality watch and requires respect.  To that end I have attached a bit of reading so as to familiarise youself whith the Tools and the working parts of a watch.  To do a quality job it takes time and the tools plus knowledge.  welcome to the world of Horology and good luck.

1867_Tissot 27B, 27b1,27b2,27b21 (1).pdf 1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

a simple office table that looks a bit like below, although electrified and wider.

That sounds ideal. I have been playing around by getting low chairs too but using my microscope as much as possible saves some back ache. I might get one of these next year to raise the height of my table:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/watchmakers-portable-bench-horotec-swiss?code=B45571

My spending has already got out of hand!!

@Ruben sorry to hijack the thread a little... welcome to the forum, I'm fairly new myself but can tell that the Tissot is a very nice movement which you wouldn't want to ruin. If you're going to service it, just take your time and feel free to post any questions, you'll get plenty of help.