WWII PARA BRUCHSICHER 782 S watch with water damage

I recently got this from my sister-in-law...it belonged to her father who was a foot soldier in WWII--I believe in Italy but not sure.

I have removed the crown wheel to expose the rust.  I cannot remove the setting-lever screw (been here before) and thus cannot remove the crown.  However, I was able to remove the crystal, hands and dial and thus disassemble the watch while in the case.

I see very little info about this watch on the web.  The keyless works will need to be replaced and it looks like I am going to have to make these from scratch or improvise some replacements.

Anybody in this group know anything about this watch?

I really do want to restore this knowing full well that I am an amateur...lol

2021-11-20 16_28_40-20211120_155607.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2021-11-20 16_28_55-20211120_155554.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• 2 weeks later...

I posted about this here.

Well...I have made a lot of progress.  I had to disassemble the watch while still in the case because the rust around the stem locked it in solid.  After trying various techniques...WD40 etc. I was able to remove the stem but the keyless works were still stuck in the movement.  I have some super duper penetrating oil that has been in my chemical bank for probably 40 years or more...soaked the main plate with keyless works for 24 hours...voila!!  After removing all of the parts, I ran everything through the cleaner--first the ultrasonic and then using the L&R (no, I did not run balance and pallet fork through the ultrasonic).

After everything was clean and dry, I did the reassemble.  Obviously I could not wind it with the stem, but could wind with the rachet screw.  I did not install the crown wheel because I did not need it for now and I was also missing the crown wheel spacer (I think).

Well, here it is and it is running.  I took a short video of me installing the balance when with power so that exact moment when the watch was recalled to live could be captured.

After checking with family, I am confident that this watch was retrieved during the Battle of the Bulge in 1944/45.

Where to from here?  I am going to need a new stem, clutch, winding pinion, setting lever screw, and perhaps some other things as well.  I also need to do a proper clean/oil on the balance jewels.

For now...I am happy with my progress.

2021-12-01 15_29_45-20211201_152244.jpg ‎- Photos.png

20211120_160242.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

This watch is mostly complete now.  Found a donor on the web and used the winding pinion, sliding clutch, setting lever, and settling lever screw, and a case screw from the donor.  Kept everything else original except I had to make to dial screws and still need to make one more case screw.

Decided not to replace the crystal...only polished it.

2022-03-21 09_13_23-20220321_090930.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 2