Quartz movement with a stuck seconds hand

lorax

The movement pulses normally and the battery is the correct voltage. It's a shiojiri movement, not sure what model. The behavior is it will run normally for a few seconds, the seconds hand will get stuck and move slightly backwards and forward for a few seconds then move normally again or get stuck doing that dance. I made sure the hands are seated correctly and tried using the tool that uses magnetic impulsion to run the wheel train and hands extremely fast (forget the name, mine is unbranded) but neither fixed the issue. What else can I try besides replacing the movement?

Edited by lorax

4 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Some background history and photos would be helpful. Did you drop it, went swimming with it, accidentally microwaved it?

Not all movement are designed to be serviced. Some are best replaced. So some good photos of your movement would help a lot.

Here's a picture of it. Unknown history, was like this when I bought it. The watch was made in the 80s so it's pretty old. The movement doesn't appear serviceable but I'm no expert. Also the coil isn't damaged, it's just light reflecting off it. Visually everything looks fine.

movement.jpg

Edited by lorax

I'm afraid that is a throwaway movement. I'm not sure what would be a suitable replacement. I've never heard of shiojiri before today. It's a subsidiary of Seiko Epsom, so maybe there would be something suitable from their range of movements. 

Good luck.

12 hours ago, lorax said:

It's a shiojiri movement, not sure what model. 

As mentioned, Shiojiri is a little used branding by Seiko, from the town where the factory is. The current compatible module should be the VJ12.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jdm said:

As mentioned, Shiojiri is a little used branding by Seiko, from the town where the factory is. The current compatible module should be the VJ12.

Thank you! I was worried I wouldn't be able to find a replacement, the one in it is the Shiojiri V515A which seems exceedingly hard to come by.

I am fairly sure a Hattori Y121 is a straight direct replacement for the V515A.

Chances are a very small drop of suitably light oil on each of the visible pivot points and then a reintroduction to your line release tool will probably get it running. Strictly speaking not a proper repair but when you have nothing to lose........!

27 minutes ago, philipk5 said:

I am fairly sure a Hattori Y121 is a straight direct replacement for the V515A.

Chances are a very small drop of suitably light oil on each of the visible pivot points and then a reintroduction to your line release tool will probably get it running. Strictly speaking not a proper repair but when you have nothing to lose........!

That worked! Thank you!!! I'm still going to buy a replacement movement to have on standby though.

1 hour ago, KOwatch said:

treat yourself to a new $6 movement

The OP said that he will anyway as a backup. But beside that likely it will never be needed, I think that he did very well already, getting equipped with a pulse box, doing the replacement research, and applying with success the good hint he got. As in doing for the pleasure of  learning what is what is and why, not necessarily to get old watches working.

• Like 2