Hello from Scotland

bobcr

Hi

Iam not involved in watch repair but have logged on here to see if I can get some help and advice on how best to get my old Seiko 5J22-OA10 watch bracelet repaired or replaced.

I purchased the watch many years ago in the USA and had the bracelet repaired by Seiko UK a few years back but recently the bracelet broke between two sections and it looked like it was held by a very short pin on each side. The watch is an old friend and hasn't been off my wrist since I bought it so not wanting to give up on it I sent it to Seiko UK asking them to either repair or replace the bracelet and replace the glass which is so scratched you can hardly seethe time now. At first they said they couldn’t do it but then changed their mind when I reminded them I had sent full details in advance to make sure it was possible before posting the watch. They gave a quote for new bracelet and glass which I agreed to but the a couple of weeks later I received the watch back not repaired with no explanation and the bracelet broken more where it joins the watch body. 
I called them and they said they don’t  have a bracelet and cant repair mine. 
I can see the ends of the broken pins are still in the holes so presumably will need drilling out ? Is this repair possible ? Could I attempt this myself if I bought the tools and pins? Where would I get the right pins ?

Seiko UK said if I can get the bracelet replaced or repaired myself they will replce the glass for me.

any help or advice would be much appreciated 

Bob

Scotland

3C5FB30D-7FD9-488F-854D-396353231DA5.jpeg

A534F36E-16A0-4A8E-8DE3-3FB58E8DA116.jpeg

459B1462-B287-4A32-95AE-F90573C9E4C7.jpeg

10 minutes ago, bobcr said:

I can see the ends of the broken pins are still in the holes so presumably will need drilling out ? Is this repair possible ?

It is not a straight drilling but it it could be possible with the right tools and experience. I suggest that you search and give it to a reputable, independent watchmaker. You risk to meet a lot of frustration and do more damage trying yourself.

10 minutes ago, bobcr said:

Seiko UK said if I can get the bracelet replaced or repaired myself they will replce the glass for me.

Any watch shop can replace the crystal for cheap. They can also be polished without even opening the watch.

38 minutes ago, bobcr said:

I have tried a few places for a new glass but its oval shape so only that particular Seiko part will fit

The crystal is perfectly round, it's just the case shape fooling people into thinking it's not. 

38 minutes ago, bobcr said:

Not sure about polishing out the scratches as they are deep and many so might not be feasible to take so much glass thickness off?

Polishing can absolutely be done, see topic below. A new crystal is however a much better solution.

• 2 months later...

Welcome to the forum Bob.

My watch got looked at by Seiko in Australia and they simply said that the watch could not be repaired based on it's age. I then found a repairer in NSW that is actually a supplier of Seiko parts. Yep, completely fixed. The bracelet on my watch is not the original and I don't have the original anymore. Pity, but there you go.

As the others have said, I would look for a reputable independent watchmaker. You'll be much happier that way.