Omega Speedmaster Oscillating Weight

Hi all, I have a Omega speedmaster and that something was loose inside, when I opened the back I found that the oscillating weight has become loose and I am able to lift it of, is this a lost centre screw or has it broken away… I would be very great-full for any help

Robert5034D71D-325F-4395-B23D-48676BA13328.thumb.jpeg.2c956871c1cfbdf84bc2b0cbb5086b0a.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robert123 said:

Hi all, I have a Omega speedmaster and that something was loose inside, when I opened the back I found that the oscillating weight has become loose and I am able to lift it of, is this a lost centre screw or has it broken away… I would be very great-full for any help

Robert5034D71D-325F-4395-B23D-48676BA13328.thumb.jpeg.2c956871c1cfbdf84bc2b0cbb5086b0a.jpeg

Looks like the screw that attaches the oscillating weight to the auto bridge has come loose and fallen somewhere into the movement.

auto bridge.png

Where is the click on this thing?  

Robert shake the watch a little see if oscilator runs or seconds hand move. you would want all barrel power released which you do through the click.

The missing screw is either inside the movement or on fell on the floor as you openned the back plate.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Where is the click on this thing?  

I’m quite sure you know the Omega 1153/1154 is just an ETA 7750, the click spring is just in the hole you see I the picture.

7750_click.thumb.jpg.163779cf1f46b6e1efcf51243d5a4c9f.jpg

This one just lost its screw holding the Oscillating weight in place.  

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your help guys. So a bit of background to this watch, my wife bought it for me as a present from a well known on line watch dealers, she then kept the watch for a month or five weeks before giving it to me, i then wore it some two weeks later, I noticed the time was wrong after I had set it but presumed I had set it wrong. I then wore it about 6 weeks later and noticed that there was something loose and that the time was all over the place.  So went back to the watch company but was told flatly and firmly that only 3 month warranty and no exceptions.
Anyway I have now shook the watch and no screw has come out, the movement is working and the second hand is ticking ok but the hour hand is moving when I shake the watch.

4 hours ago, ifibrin said:

Looks like the screw that attaches the oscillating weight to the auto bridge has come loose and fallen somewhere into the movement.

auto bridge.png

Thank you for your help guys. So a bit of background to this watch, my wife bought it for me as a present from a well known on line watch dealers, she then kept the watch for a month or five weeks before giving it to me, i then wore it some two weeks later, I noticed the time was wrong after I had set it but presumed I had set it wrong. I then wore it about 6 weeks later and noticed that there was something loose and that the time was all over the place.  So went back to the watch company but was told flatly and firmly that only 3 month warranty and no exceptions.
Anyway I have now shook the watch and no screw has come out, the movement is working and the second hand is ticking ok but the hour hand is moving when I shake the watch.

I'm not able to see the video, but from the sound of what you are saying I would recommend to just buy a new screw for the oscillating weight, you should be able to get it from ebay ( depending on where you live the freight will be different).
If the hour hand is loosse you for sure will get help fixing that here 😉

Three months warranty sounds short.....

1 minute ago, HSL said:

I'm not able to see the video, but from the sound of what you are saying I would recommend to just buy a new screw for the oscillating weight, you should be able to get it from ebay ( depending on where you live the freight will be different).
If the hour hand is loosse you for sure will get help fixing that here 😉

Three months warranty sounds short.....

Yes warranty very short but my wife hadn’t been aware it was so short. I will order up screw and see where I go from there, not sure if the hour hand issue may be a bit out of my depth!

4 hours ago, Robert123 said:

Yes warranty very short but my wife hadn’t been aware it was so short. I will order up screw and see where I go from there, not sure if the hour hand issue may be a bit out of my depth!

I'm not sure if leaving a free floating screw somewhere in the movement is the best idea, since it could eventually get somewhere it shouldn't, and stop the running of the watch (best case scenario) or potentially damage some parts if you decide to engage the stopwatch function and press down on the pushers and the unwanted screw is obstructing the movement of the levers and springs...

If the hour hand is moving when you shake the watch you should definitely get the entire thing serviced for peace of mind, especially since its a gift from your lovely wife 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ifibrin said:

I'm not sure if leaving a free floating screw somewhere in the movement is the best idea, since it could eventually get somewhere it shouldn't, and stop the running of the watch (best case scenario) or potentially damage some parts if you decide to engage the stopwatch function and press down on the pushers and the unwanted screw is obstructing the movement of the levers and springs...

If the hour hand is moving when you shake the watch you should definitely get the entire thing serviced for peace of mind, especially since its a gift from your lovely wife 😊

Thank you for the help, so although I would be happy to attempt this myself I just wouldn’t be confident with it as only recently begun to do small works with my own watches. So is there someone online that could be recommended for me to send it to. I live in a town called Ballycastle on the North Coast of Ireland also what sort of cost am I looking at??

3 hours ago, Robert123 said:

Thank you for the help, so although I would be happy to attempt this myself I just wouldn’t be confident with it as only recently begun to do small works with my own watches. So is there someone online that could be recommended for me to send it to. I live in a town called Ballycastle on the North Coast of Ireland also what sort of cost am I looking at??

I wouldn’t even attempt to service any chronograph movements until I had practiced a few more years on more basic movements for a few years, because chronograph movements are really quite complicated! You definitely wouldn’t want to start practicing on something that valuable/important to you...

Chronograph servicing tends to be mor expensive than a three hander with date etc... I would expect it to cost from 200 to 500 euros... I’m not familiar with watch repairmen in Ireland, although others on WRT may be able to help you with that! Maybe try posting in the Chat about watches sub forum?

29 minutes ago, ifibrin said:

I wouldn’t even attempt to service any chronograph movements until I had practiced a few more years on more basic movements for a few years

That is right but the OP's issue is just about refitting the most accessible screw that someone neglected to tighten well. I hope he'll be able that without issue.

6 minutes ago, jdm said:

That is right but the OP's issue is just about refitting the most accessible screw that someone neglected to tighten well. I hope he'll be able that without issue.

If the screw was lodged deep in the movement he might have to unassemble a few more parts to get it out... If he managed to locate the screw then it would be simply reattaching the oscillating weight, but the hour hand being loose is also potentially something that should be fixed which I would be very wary about asking someone new to fix.

Edited by ifibrin