Steinhart Ocean One

Hi all:

Long time no write, hope you're all well.

What I was thinking in fact all I've been thinking about is what your thoughts are concerning the Steinhart Ocean One.

There are so many reviews and differing views I was just thinking what my own forum chaps think about it.

It is a homage watch that is undeniable but is it a stab at a watch that will increase in value over time.

Looking forward to your valued replies.

Craig.

post-66-0-26081100-1429027400.jpg

Sorry about the wrong forum Mark...My bad.

The Steinhart specs: Movement
ETA 2824-2 Swiss Made, automatic elabore, hacking seconds
Jewels: 25 jewels

Functions
hour and minute with Super Luminova C1
central second hand

date on the ‘3’

Case: Satin stainless steel...
Back: Stainless steel screwed, engraved..
Diameter: 42 mm (1.65 inches), without crown..
height: 13 mm..
Weight: 190 g..
Dial: black..
Crystal: Sapphire, with double anti-reflecting coatings on the interior side incl. date magnifier
Bezel: black..
Indices: Super Luminova C1..
Lug width: 22 mm ..
WaterRes: 300 metres/990 feet 30 ATM acc. to DIN..
Strap: stainless steel 22 mm, screwed..
Buckle: stainless steel, safety clasp..

Sorry about the wrong forum Mark...My bad.

No problem at all - I only mentioned it in case you thought your post went missing :)

The specs on the watch are pretty decent - if you can get it for a good price then even better :)

• Like 1

Looks like a very competent spec, but of course being ETA, and therefore Swatch group, bear in mind that servicing costs are going to soar after this year. Buy your spares now or you could end up paying Rolex prices for maintenance.

Looks like a very competent spec, but of course being ETA, and therefore Swatch group, bear in mind that servicing costs are going to soar after this year. Buy your spares now or you could end up paying Rolex prices for maintenance.

Damn Marc didn't know that. The word Swiss is starting to leave a sour taste. Nice info mate.

Craig,

I may be over stating the issue a bit,  only time will tell, but it is something to bear in mind.

It's also not just the likely price of parts that will be a problem. As parts will only be available to a limited selection of repairers, so demand on those repairers services will increase. The laws of supply and demand will come into play and the labour costs will also sky rocket whilst service times extend.

Unless you have access to spares and can do the work yourself the cost of work will only go up.

It is a homage watch that is undeniable but is it a stab at a watch that will increase in value over time.

Good evening Craig, I don't think I've had the pleasure of communicating with you before, so hi from scotland.

That's a really nice looking watch and I agree with all that has been said before. Regarding it increasing in value, if it's new, and I asume it is, it will probably take a fair old time to increase in value. When it does inflation in general might mean that in real terms, it hasn't increased. I suppose it's all down to make, rarity and demand.

Just buy it because you like it. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling Steinhart as well as others will switch movements soon

...or jump in the bandwagon with the rest of Swatch! I understand that new thing/law/trend/whatever is sponsored and supported by the Swiss government as a protection to their stuff...and there is money to be made for themselves too. We just need to wait and see. I believe new Swiss brands, because of their relatively unknown "pedigree", will be at a disadvantage and will have to find some new marketing strategy -- among other things -- to survive. Other, non Swiss brands, -- as discussed before in other threads -- will thrive and probably become the new standard since this law can only hurt Swiss industry, IMHO. Only time will reveal the truth.

Value, demand and the rest may not be exactly moving as expected due to the iffy stability that will be created...also IMHO.

Cheers,

Bob

Steinhart doesn't float my boat, I don't like homages or replicas. They always seem to get good reviews tho and resale value on eBay isn't too bad if you decide you don't like it. As to it going up in value, I can't see it being a pension replacement in the future! Best not to worry about these things and just buy it if you like it. Regarding the spare ETA parts issue, let's just hope our friends in Asia can sort that problem out.

Hello, these watches have a Cyclops magnifier that give them a cheap appearance. they need a better magnification and clasp.

Just like a Rolex then. :biggrin:

The Cyclops can be removed or indeed the whole crystal, I have had no problems with my Steinhart Ocean Vintage GMT.

In fact it is one Watch that I will never sell, can't fault the clasp either.

The vintage GMT has the ETA 2893-2 movement, bang for buck simply cannot go wrong.

Quick pic of mine.

SAM_0811_zpsb5ec5388.jpg