Hello from Costa Rica!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I bought a compass to detect magnetism. The magnetic tip reacted to both magenetised and non magnetised basic steel so it became a guessing game as to whether my test subject was either weakly magnetised or dense steel. I've found the best way to detect magnetism is by using the smallest unmagnetised screw and a known piece of unmagnetised steel to test the screw and another piece of known unmagnetised steel to test the first known piece of unmagnetised and another....................... 😂 
    • Ha ha, reminds me of this: "Don't go puttin' none of that stuff on my sled, Clark. You know that metal plate in my head? I had to have it replaced, cause every time Catherine revved up the microwave I'd pi$$ my pants and forget who I was for a half hour or so. So over at the VA they had to replace it with plastic."
    • Hello and welcome to the forum. Added a little help for you . TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf
    • Hi @VWatchie - I have model of this Mondaine quartz watch in my collection, just a smaller size. I bought it many years ago, new.  I wonder if  the crystal on your watch is original?  My original crystal was entirely flat.  I scratched it at one stage and replaced it.  There is a dealer located in the UK who sells replacement crystals for Mondaine on the big E - I bought mine from him.  If you PM me, I’m happy to forward the listing details - he may keep different sizes for the Mondaine range?.  The replacement he sent to me was a perfect replacement for the original.   On a side note, the Ronda movement in these is very easy and fun to work on.  They’re also very cheap to replace.  I learnt a lot about the big date complication when the smaller date wheel spring mechanism malfunctioned and the date changing stopped. I stripped down the movement and it went back together very smoothly and continues to work perfectly.  I like the streamlined aesthetic of the Mondiane line.  I also have one of their big date mechanical movements which runs on an SW200-1. The crystal on that is also perfectly flat, btw.   Cheers, John
    • I have a DIY version, it’s a voice coil from a 300mb disc drive and a vdu transformer , when you put the tweezers in they vibrate like a tuning fork  and come out clean. Could get an engine block in.