Hi all! It's good to be here in the cool club!

chadman

Greetings to all.  I'm Chad, recently retired and thought I'd give watch restoration a go.  Why?  Watches are very cool; I've always been fascinated by them.  I think watchmakers and folks who can work on them successfully are cool as well, and well, I'm cool too, I just haven't worked on a watch yet!  I have a couple of vintage Omega's, one a pocket watch and one a wristwatch.  The wristwatch was my Dad's.  It will go to my son one day. 

I thought I'd never be able to work on a watch due to the size and complexity but after watching about everything on Youtube on watch repair I think I might find some success as a hobbyist.  Likely some failures too.  I have a bunch of non-working movements coming my way and I'm going to experiment on them as much as I can prior to working on anything I don't want to destroy.  I just did buy a (I think), nice, almost 100 year old Illinois pocket watch which will be the first real watch I'll work on, but after I'm more familiar with using the tools, etc.

Like the title says, good to be here, and you'll certainly hear from me again. 

Cheers, chadman

• Like 1

10 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hello Chad and welcome to the forum.   I have attached a little reading for you 

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist.pdf 371.51 kB · 0 downloads TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf 4.2 MB · 0 downloads

These are very helpful and I haven't even bothered anyone.  Yet.  Very thoughtful and I appreciate it watchweasol!

• 2 weeks later...