Tears Of....joy?

icius

Today was a milestone.  I finally took a watch that I bought off of fleabay as "Parts or Repair" and brought it fully back to life.  Disassembly,  cleaning, troubleshooting, replacement parts, lubrication, the whole 9 yards.  

So much learning,  so many mistakes.  

I held this precious thing in my hand that I knew inside and out and watched it merrily tick away.  I reveled in the results of the timegrapher that told me it wasn't just working,  it was accurate too.

Magical.

So in order to celebrate this momentous occasion, what did I choose to do next?

I dropped the movement and broke off the stem flush with the crown.......

I'm not sure I've ever truly "wept" before, but if there was an occasion to, this might have been it.

Here is a picture of the poor thing.  It is still merrily ticking away,  at least until it needs wound again.  As I dust myself off and prepare to find a replacement stem and crown, only one consoling thought keeps running through my head...

At least I know how to fix it :)

post-752-0-30828900-1427649648_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It's a great feeling when you revive your first watch, very well done. It's just a pity about the stem, but you'll soon fix that. :)

Just as an aside, and I'm not trying to be picky. Looking at the position of the hands it doesn't look like they will be in alignment when it's twelve o'clock. Please tell me I'm wrong.

It's a great feeling when you revive your first watch, very well done. It's just a pity about the stem, but you'll soon fix that. :)

Just as an aside, and I'm not trying to be picky. Looking at the position of the hands it doesn't look like they will be in alignment when it's twelve o'clock. Please tell me I'm wrong.

Geo,

You are correct the hands are not well aligned.  The next step for this watch is a re-lume so I wasn't picky about hand placement.  Rest assured they will be properly aligned after the re-lume :)

Well done Icius,

No matter what happened you had a memorable success and you have notched up some confidence that in the face of adversity you will still succeed.

Cheers,

Vic

Maybe a stem extension will work?

Rob,  I may try a stem extension just to have another experience under my belt.  Question is,  which tap size?  I found an image of the label for the replacement stem.  Not quite sure how to read all of the info on this label.  Does this indicate that the stem is a Tap 9?

post-752-0-32397200-1427653479_thumb.jpg

Good job icius!...and bad job icius, dropping the watch is not part of servicing!  :) No matter, the stem is no big deal and you still have to open it again to lume the hands. Now, wait till you are done and wearing it...you might need an extra size shirt to fit your "swollen with pride" chest in it! :)

Also as a side note, maybe there is a discrepancy between US measurements and UK measurements, but on this side of the pond .90 is Tap 10...and sometimes the extender works -- it is a good idea if there is no stem available -- the draw back is that sometimes it won't fit the stem tube because of the thickness of the coupling ...just something to consider.

Try using this link for confirmation one way or the other, look up your watch but I notice they only have two waltham stems.  They do however, give comprehensive measurements for those two so you could make a comparison using your digital measure.

http://www.windingstems.com/windingstems.php

Its a handy reference site most times and they are experts in their field of sales but if they have not got what you need for confirmation:-

Tap sizes always confused me and all I can say is that I have used 0.9 mm stems quite often with Bulova and Tissot watches and they have always been referred to as tap 10.  If Cousins are not following that format they are (in my opinion) making a mistake.  They do make mistakes as I have found in the past with some hour wheels - I am not casting the first stone though as I have made my share and they remain a useful supplier.  My understanding is:-

Tap Size       mm

13                0.60
12                0.70
11                0.80
10                0.90
09                1.00
08                1.10

As usual if anyone knows my info to be incorrect please don't hesitate to advise, I will not be upset and will learn a bit more.

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich

A tip I learnt long ago was "Only take a watch off or put it on, over something soft",  that way if you drop it no harm will come to it. 

That is good advice.  I've already dropped my Seiko twice trying to put it on while running out of the house. 

Good ol'Seikos! I bet it is still running strong!

Cheers,

Bob

Seems to still be running great!  I've defiantly beat it up quite a bit and will probably need a service before too long if I keep it up.

• Like 1

Turns out the stem extensions were a moot point as the stem actually broke in two places,  flush with the crown and right at the end of the threads on the other end.  

So a new stem is on the way from fleabay.  

I have a Tap 10 crown here waiting to go, so that will likely put to bed the question of whether or not .90 mm is Tap 10. We'll see when the stem gets here. 

Your "story" was a good read . Don't feel like the Lone Ranger . I've dropped a watch ...or two . I can't believe i did that , pure denial . Time goes in slow motion as I fumble the watch on the one yard line .  I get so upset at myself that i won't talk to me for a day or so . BUT ,......I get over it .

Curious.... did the stem have rust ?

It is done.  

New stem and crown installed.  Hands re-lumed.  Did what I could with the lume dots on the dial.  New band (that I am very unhappy with the quality of)

All in all a great experience.  I learned much more what not to do on this project then what I should do.  I think Mark's videos pretty much cover what should be done (and some of what shouldn't).  

On to the next :)

post-752-0-74443900-1428382822_thumb.jpg

P.S.  .90 mm was indeed Tap 10 :)

Edited by icius