Low amplitude = weak mainspring = irregular readings in timegrapher?

Hello all.

I was wondering if the irregular readings I'm having in the timegrapher is due to the mainspring needing to be replaced/serviced.

What I mean by irregular readings I mean +8 sec/day on one position and -20 on another. No matter how I regulate the balance, I can't get close to 0 on several positions.

43 minutes ago, BFernandes said:

It varies from 180 to 140. Sometimes 130.

Your amplitude needs to be higher to get a more reliable reading. Low amplitudes will amplify escapement issues and poise errors not the mention the hairspring may be toing and froing from to regulating pins and the stud. You haven't said what the movement is.

• Like 3

Yeah you need more amplitude, and if this is full wind a new mainspring isn't going to get you there- there are other issues. Good news is if that's your max delta at this miserable amplitude it will probably run great when you get it up to something normal!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

More complicted movement problems you cannot recognize by cheap timegrapher like Weishi 1000. The timegrapher expect some clear signal shape for correct counting. If this signal is different, due various movement issues, timegrapher result will be not correct. Check out your watches by using an oscilloscope. I have been using Sound Oscilloscope app and external microphone. That app is ok for this particular purpose.

12 hours ago, B52 said:

More complicted movement problems you cannot recognize by cheap timegrapher like Weishi 1000. The timegrapher expect some clear signal shape for correct counting. If this signal is different, due various movement issues, timegrapher result will be not correct. Check out your watches by using an oscilloscope.

Are you suggesting in real life a timing machine That does not have our oscilloscope is going to be problematic?