Again, another movement I can^t get out of its case. Any suggestions?

Go to solution Solved by jdm,

Question

Hi everyone!

I have this lovely ETA 7001 movement that would need a service. Sadly, I can't figure out how to get the movement out of its case. There were 2 "case holding" screws, but removing them didn't do the job. I can rotate the movement in its case 360 degrees, but it won't come out. Then theres that case, which seems to be made out of 2 parts. But the line separating them  is so fine, I don't think any of my case opening tools would fit in between. It seems that somebody before me tried to open it that way, so theres a "dent" on the left side at 9 o'clock. I don't think thats a typical spot for making those "dents" which I know from pressure fitted case backs. Anyway I could not resist und gave it a gentle try with my case opening tool, but nothing moved, so I thought I'd ask for help from more experienced people. Any suggestions how to get that movement out of the case? 

Thank you in advance for your time and thoughts. 

Sincerely, 

thebosston

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.PNG

IMG_2620.PNG

4 answers to this question

• Solution
42 minutes ago, thebosston said:

But the line separating them  is so fine, I don't think any of my case opening tools would fit in between.

Have a read on the recent topic below.

Thank you very much for your help guys. I have managed to get the case out of the movement, removing the bezel with a razor blade and then with my case knife. 
I do really appreciate your help! Now I have already learnt something new 🙂

Thanks a lot, 

Sincerely, 

thebosston 

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hi   104 manual attached.  a bit more reading. 104 (1).pdf
    • Hi, I recently started fiddling with watches after successful resurrection of a few old favourites in my sock drawer. I have since bought some unloved projects. My background is car mechanics and electronics. I have got bored of repairing Sony PSP and Xbox so this is my new thing. I really appreciate the amazing engineering in some of these pieces. Sorry for the rambling.  
    • Sorry to resurrect this thread but I’m still struggling to get my head around this and I suppose there is no point in me not getting to the bottom of my query while I’m trying to learn....... My new Vernier Gauge arrived today so I measured the stem, which was 1.1mm. Now, this is the outer width of the thread so I assume the stem thread is actually 1mm.  The case does not have a pendent tube fitted and you advise that I fit one - does that mean that the case would have originally had a tube fitted that has been removed? If that is the case, once I have fitted a pendant tube should I use a crown with a tube or without a tube? Also, if the watch case never had a pendent tube fitted, which type of crown would have originally been installed?. Thanks. 
    • Thanks watchweasol that's fantastic. I've had a quick scan through, it's always good to have a manual. You don't happen to have the 104 manual it refers to for cleaning? Off now to read and digest, thanks again.
    • As I indicated above I did email the best pictures that I could see of all the pictures and I'm pasting the answer below. To really go beyond we need better pictures. Then the definition a better pictures is the impossible picture? There's a reference to the roller table which is totally invisible at all these pictures. In the early days of lever escapement's there are lots of variations of things. So the roller table located underneath everything engaging with the lever might have something clever. If your watchmaker with a loop it's easy enough to look in. Photographing that would be quite a challenge unless you knew exactly what you're doing. Then attempting to remove the balance wheel would not recommend unless you have experience with watches of this type. As because removing the balance bridge does not allow you to remove the balance wheel without underpinning the hairspring. Typically the hairsprings are pinned to the main plate. You will notice the reference to conversion to lever escapement. As technology changed the early movements would transition into newer movements. So basically they will take their older movements and start to add bits and pieces of newer technology on to them rather than making an entirely new watches.     As for the fusee, I really can't make out any details about the escapement from those poor photos. It looks like a standard lever escapement but it has a verge style balance cock. The case marks look like London, 1830. This would be way too early for a standard lever escapement. Perhaps it started out its life as a verge and was converted to a lever at a later date. I'm pretty sure that the signature is James McCabe - a well known and collectible watchmaker. It would be interesting to see more details of the roller table. This could, for example, be a Massey lever. Better pictures would help.