Automatic assembly slips when winding

Question

I have a watch movement that I have hunting for a case for a long time now. I bought the movement rather cheaply as I absolutely love the patina on the dial. The movement is an Wittnauer 11arg (as 1361). When the rotor turns the automatic assembly slips (or maybe the mainspring). The pictured gear slips when the rotor turns. I can still wind the movement by hand however the automatic assembly slipping I believe causes the mainspring to unwind. Does anyone know what is wrong/ what I can do to remedy it?

Thanks for your help,

Amateurwatchbreaker

PicsArt_12-05-12.20.58.jpg

20201205_121622.jpg

4 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

Does anyone know what is wrong/ what I can do to remedy it?

How comfortable are you with troubleshooting and servicing this watch?

Here is where I would start:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/PDF/categories/3945_AS 1361smaller.pdf

Download the diagram and review it.

Cheers

Edited by Poljot

AS1361 a detached manual wind lets you wind through the crown, I am not sure if I understand you, Does it

- Wind fully?

- Winds to some point, like couple of turns of the crown, then discharges the barrel power?

The wheel you show is a reduction gear that intermediates the winder module and crown wheel. Does it slip?

You might ink mark any wheel you suspect, wind and abserve.

So here is a proceedure for trouble shooting.

Ink mark the wheel you encircled or suspect, wind through the crown, until the ink mark does a 360degree. 

Do you see any broken teeth as the wheel turned 360d.   if not, the next suspect you have named is mainspring slipping, you can also ink mark any part of the barrel you have access to, wind through the crown, check if barrel keeps getting wound or slips,  if latter "slips" the ink mark will keep slipping back. 

Count and disclose the number of turns you wind the crown till it slips, its a  " sudden power discharge" you can't miss the sound of MS slipping, its certainly louder than ticking sound of escapement.

Usually you crack the barrel lid open, clean the barrel, check its walls, put breaking grease on barrel wall during routine service of the movement. 

Good luck

Sometimes the reverser gears can get sticky or dirty and then not work properly- i.e. they spin like a normal gear, thereby allowing the mainspring to spin the rotor.

I see this a lot on the Chinese ETA 2824 clones, and it requires cleaning and either leaving dry, or lubing with oil diluted in solvent before reassembly. 

I don't know how this reverser system works so that may be of no value at all...

• Similar Content

• By PaulnKC
      Greetings All,
      Hope that all are doing well - in this crazy COVID world.
      I recently acquired a 1958 Rolex Ref. 6569 with a Cal. 1030 movement. All-in-all very nice and clean for her age - and runs very well.
      The winding pinion and clutch wheel had worn each other out - so I found NOS Rolex parts and replaced those. I though the watch deserved the new parts.
      It appeared to have been serviced in the last 10 years - because everything looked clean and the oil looked good (and present).
      Since the watch seemed to be running well and in good health (other than the winding pinion and clutch wheel) - I didn't do a complete service. I didn't think it was worth the risk.
      However, it seems to me that the watch is harder to wind than I would expect.
      I did do a full service on a 1215 that I bought for my wife (ref. 6694). It needed everything - but an awesome running movement when I was finished.
      The 1215 is of course a manual wind - but similar to the 1030. The 1215 winds lightly and smoothly as one would expect.
      The 1030 is "stiff". I haven't taken the barrel apart - but have just ordered some new mainsprings.
      Is there anything tricky about replacing the auto mainspring in a 1030? Or is more or less like any modern auto?
      Clean the barrel; apply braking grease to wall; fit spring; fit arbor - oil lightly at spring-arbor interface; replace lid?

Also - I was only able to find a parts-list for this movement. Anyone know where a tech/service sheet (or similar) may be found?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
      -Paul
    • By MechanicMike
      Ok, I need the WRT detectives out there and their help. I've searched and as far as I can tell this symbol or trademark belongs to the Chicago Watch Co. 1895-1903 and made by Elgin. The movement came in an old but intact tin stamped "Elgin Watch Co. I looked up the serial # on PWD.com under 'Chicago' and that's what came up. But, there are a few pics of others and mine looks nothing like any of them nor has this trademark. Anyone recognize this trademark? It's a size 18s with no case. Aaaand I just noticed I didn't provide the serial number. I'll post it here in a bit. Thanks Mike

• By Nicola00
      Hi, a few days ago i bought a preziosa skin diver, the movement is ok, but there isn't the bezel, where i can find a bezel as in the photos, or a bezel that is compatible?

• By BrianJW
      Does anyone have any more info on this watch movement?  It's a small women's movement. Measures 21.5mm in diameter. Hour/minutes only. It's not an escapement I've seen in a watch before. The only marks I can find are the AS and 40(?). No name on dial either. Thanks! 

• By Max50916
      I'm looking for help identifying the movement in this vintage citizen watch. I picked it up from a flea market and quite like the look, especially since finding Citizen watches of this age seems somewhat rare.
       But, I haven't been able to figure out a model number so that I can start looking for a replacement stem/crown. I can find a serial number of some type that reads 360278 and the letter T under the balance. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

See photos of top and bottom of movement.