French clock update

clockboy

I have spent many, many hours in my workshop restoring this clock after it arrived totally wrecked (see pic). There are still issues that need resolving. 1. the minute hand Is not correct and is just a modified hand that came with the clock and as yet I have still not found a replacement that fits. 2. The chiming sequence goes out of sequence now and again. The issue might be when in the strike mode it runs very, very fast so it might be skipping the count wheel, maybe !!!.. or The fly wheel bushings might need replacing!!!

However lessons learnt. When sticking alabaster together use epoxy glue BUT mix it with some alabaster powder. This hides the joins (almost) When replacing the pendulum the numbers found on the rear of the case are really useful. This particular clock has 4.8 and using the PDF (see attachment) it gave me the length required and also the BPM expected. Using the Clock master app on my iPhone it was almost spot on with regard to timekeeping. If careful spelter can be drilled and have a thread tapped into it. When gold leafing use fresh  size and after applying leave for at least 15 mins before attaching the leaf. To get a smooth finish I found my finger gave the best results.

BEFORE

IMG_5783.thumb.jpg.1f523acb54f61385b9716246e6728d0d.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6123.thumb.jpg.dbd444bee2b400d0cf309476e6e2e79d.jpg

FrenchClockBeatRates2.pdf.pdf.pdf

• Like 3

Dude!  That's amazing!  I remember that original post where you showed the pictures of it arriving in pieces.  Your description of the restoration sounds both arduous and educational.  But the clock certainly has come a long way.  From the pics here, it looks like it was worth all the work.

To hold the case furniture I used a small amount of epoxy putty.  To complete the joins I used epoxy resin. I then rubbed all of the case down with 2500 grit and a little water. I then polished with clear wax. 

ps the chiming issue is (I think)I removed the count wheel without marking its position so I will  have to remove and try in another position. However my wife loves the clock and doesn’t want me to remove it ☺️

26 minutes ago, clockboy said:

To hold the case furniture I used a small amount of epoxy putty.  To complete the joins I used epoxy resin. I then rubbed all of the case down with 2500 grit and a little water. I then polished with clear wax. 

ps the chiming issue is (I think)I removed the count wheel without marking its position so I will  have to remove and try in another position. However my wife loves the clock and doesn’t want me to remove it ☺️

If you look carefully the square the count wheel fixes onto some have a mark on it for a guide for fitting it correctly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, clockboy said:

I have spent many, many hours in my workshop restoring this clock after it arrived totally wrecked (see pic). There are still issues that need resolving. 1. the minute hand Is not correct and is just a modified hand that came with the clock and as yet I have still not found a replacement that fits. 2. The chiming sequence goes out of sequence now and again. The issue might be when in the strike mode it runs very, very fast so it might be skipping the count wheel, maybe !!!.. or The fly wheel bushings might need replacing!!!

However lessons learnt. When sticking alabaster together use epoxy glue BUT mix it with some alabaster powder. This hides the joins (almost) When replacing the pendulum the numbers found on the rear of the case are really useful. This particular clock has 4.8 and using the PDF (see attachment) it gave me the length required and also the BPM expected. Using the Clock master app on my iPhone it was almost spot on with regard to timekeeping. If careful spelter can be drilled and have a thread tapped into it. When gold leafing use fresh  size and after applying leave for at least 15 mins before attaching the leaf. To get a smooth finish I found my finger gave the best results.

BEFORE

IMG_5783.thumb.jpg.1f523acb54f61385b9716246e6728d0d.jpg

AFTER

IMG_6123.thumb.jpg.dbd444bee2b400d0cf309476e6e2e79d.jpg

FrenchClockBeatRates2.pdf.pdf.pdf 188.71 kB · 2 downloads

What a super job, well done!!!

Its a countwheel issue.  They are bastards, especially if a previous meddler has "manipulated" it.

You did an incredible job rebuilding the case!  Alabaster? Marble?

I was in vienna at a very fine clock shop where i bought a marble french portico clock.  It arrived at my house in the USA as pile of dust.  I was so upset!

Years ago i bought a late 1700's early 1800s alabaster clock that was in pieces in several boxes and glued it all back together.  I enjoyed that.

Cheers!

Yes it is annoying but that’s all part of the fun. The issue I have is my wife loves the clock and does not want me to remove it. Quote “I don’t count the chimes I just know it’s either half past or the hour”.

I will tackle the issue after the festive time. My only fear is that the count wheel is not the original one which will be a challenge.