LaurieB

LaurieB

I have been busy for a while working my way through the Watch Repair Course, I have an old pocket watch minus hands and glass that came from an auction lot. I did not get far when trying to open it up, the inner case lid on the movement side seemed to be held by two screws which I have removed. I cannot for the life of me see how to get this cover open or off. I have no idea what this watch is as there is no name I can find. I will try to upload two pictures in the hope that all of you clever people out there will be able to help me a little.

Heres hoping,

Thanks,

Laurieb

P1000137.JPG

P1000133.JPG

Have a good .   look round the edges of the back cover for a notch to insert the case knife  usually opposite the hinge near the stem base. as it looks as its a pry off .  look for any marks left by others opening the watch.  I have had some with a button to press in that releases a catch to open the back .

Many thanks to Watchweasol and Nucejoe for taking the trouble to help me, I have spent many hours studying in great detail this cover and can find no marks which I have not put there myself, I am considering trying to cut it off with a dremel type tool and grinding disc. Yes, I know "Sacrilege" I hear you all shouting but if I cannot get inside the case I will learn nothing from it. I will wait a few days before taking this serious action.

Thanks again

Laurieb

1 hour ago, LaurieB said:

Yes, I know "Sacrilege" I hear you all shouting but if I cannot get inside the case I will learn nothing from it.

More than that it would be silly, unnecessary violence. Your first step in learning is how to open and close back watches without damage. In this case, I think, you just need to lift the lid inserting a thin tip under its edge. The right spot to begin may be anywhere, just try going slowly around.

• Like 2

Hi  On a watch of that vintage they were mostly snap on case backs. Get a stanley knife and a pair of protective gloves and insert the blade into the join and apply twisting pressure.   There is always the case that it might be screwed on in which case get a sticky ball or alternativly glue a large nut on the back with superglue and try that to un screw. The nut can be removed with acetone (nail polish remover) and it will not mark the case.    Can you post some pics of the case side view from alternate sides  What ever you do do not use the dremel.  Men made it men can remove it.  Another possibility is that it is a front loader and with the bezel removed the movement lifts out through the front It may require a little help as some are a snug fit. Looking at the back and the front this is a distinct possibility, CHECK THIS OUT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE.

• Like 2

Thanks Watchweasol, absolutely spot on, as soon as I opened the the glass bezel I could see the double catch and the whole movement  casing swung up hinged at the side. Thanks again for your help.  I really had no intention of using a dremel on it, even if I had one.