400 day clock suspension spring

Willow

Well I have seen some springs but that.s the best yet as Nicklesilver said "toast".  The double ended key is from a clock with a brocot escapement (visible escapement) and the small end is used to adjust the pendulum length from the front. There is usually a small hole above the 12 marker and a small arbour to raise or lower the pendulum.    I have attached a picture of what the spring should look like.

s-l1600.jpg

If you order only the spring u will need dimensions from the Horolovar 400 day clock repair guide. Or from anywhere else if you can get it. You could take the measurements of the existing one but because the spring is twisted it is probably a bit shorter now. You will need to post a picture of the backplate for us to identify your movement. I could try to scan the right page for you but, I am not an experienced guy, my first 400 day clock is still on my bench waiting for me.

Yes just got the book today and watchweasol told me what page to go to for the spring so I will order one my clock is all in bits at the moment ready for cleaning getting it back together that's where the fun starts probably be back on hear asking for help  good luck with yours

Hi when you come to assemble the suspension  be very careful with the spring as they kink easy, attach the top and bottom blocks as per the drawing as per page 179  5E (use Horolovar springs as the book is based on their research)  and when satisfied they match then fit the fork. Once satisfied assemble the suspension to the clock and fit the rotorary pendulum and set up.  If you have the tool as old hippy mentioned it makes it easier as you are able to make miniscule adjustments.  Make sure the clock is level and the pendulum is directly on center at rest above the cup. On page 56 there is a grid for you to copy and use for setting the overswing / beat. Once you have set it up and working you will be hooked on 400day clocks   I love them  and have several plus some quartz ones. The wife likes them  they dont TICK  TOCK.

Be sparse when it comes to oiling the movement. They perform better. A good tip is to oil the inside of the pallet fork on each side where it makes contact with the stem of the pallets, nothing more then using your fine watch oilier should be enough.  it also will prevent any fluttering. (fluttering) when many escape teeth escape at the same time.   

35 minutes ago, Willow said:

Have ordered the spring I have just got to figure out how to get the pin out at the bottom without causing any damage my wife is the same no noise and no striking in the middle of the night?

If you mean the pin in the bottom block, there is no need to remove it, just unscrew the two screws, remove the old spring, insert the new so it is touching the pin, make sure it is all proper to the diagram in the book and screw tight. I found a good way of fitting these springs and screwing it tight was to use my watch vice to hold the blocks in, Be very careful with the pallet fork when screwing it tight do not kink the spring.