Greetings from Vancouver Canada

Hey everyone,

I am an eye surgeon from Vancouver Canada, and I am completely obsessed with Swiss watches. I started my collection about 10 years ago and currently own about 20 watches, including one classic and one 'vintage' Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, one Breitling Navitimer, one Avenger Bandit, one Panerai Luminor Marina, one VC Malte Tourbillon, one IWC Pilot Chrono Spitfire, and one Tag Heuer Carrera Senna Edition. I have been searching for the right Daytona for quite a while and have been on a waitlist for a Royal Oak for almost 2 years now. After years taking these watches for servicing, I started looking at learning the craft myself. I am used to performing microsurgery so I suspect horology would be right up my alley. 

I am looking at courses and there aren't many options available in Western Canada. I thought I might purchase a watch repair kit from Amazon and take some online courses while working on those older, affordable watches I purchased when I started my collection. I have a few Tissots and Movados that I want to tinker with, and a few Swatches that I could try to disassemble and reassemble. I am very, very excited about learning more about the craft, so any advice is greatly appreciated. 

I look forward to learning from all of you and feel very grateful to join this community. 

Cheers,

Henry

Hi Henry, and welcome. Your career should certainly give you a head-start over most of us hobbyists. I would advise you to buy tools worthy of your collection. In your case, that means Bergeon, Dumont, Horotec etc. from the start, and not budget kits. You are wise to begin with the less valuable items. Plenty of very good advice on here for any situation you will encounter.

Hi Henry, welcome to the forum. I think it is worth to take the lessons at https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/ . This is Marc's own courses not just you learn a lot, but you also support Marc to create new content. There are some free lessons so have a look and see if you like them. If you have questions you are at the right place, there are many forum members here with impressing knowledge (not me) who happy to help. It is a really friendly and funny forum. By the way we might need your services sooner or later if we keep messing with watches, so good to have you here at hand. :DTake care, lui 

Hi Henry. Welcome to WRT.

As a dentist, I'm used to working with small things under magnification. But horology really took that beyond my comfort zone.

You can be assured that your skills as a surgeon will improve tremendously as your dexterity, hand eye coordination, propioception, breathing control and fine muscle control improves.

Have fun and stay sane! :thumbsu: