On 9/17/2021 at 6:45 PM, jkjoller said:

I'm new to watch repair so thought I could get some advice here. I have a Benrus DTU-2A/P MIL that I wanted to practice on. Where would I look for a new crystal and crown?

Thanks.

IMG_3146.jpg.041010f829aa2fa0d8b49041fe9aaea7.jpg

I wouldn't risk it with such a nice watch. I don't know about others, but my first attempts ended with parts lost and parts damaged. I had too few and the wrong tools and too little experience, which must be acquired. I recommend you begin tinkering with Vostok movements (cal, 2409 and 2414). They have Swiss heritage, can be found in the thousands on eBay and cost next to nothing depending on condition.

Good luck! 👍

I ruined (made irreversible damage) to around half of them at the beginning, but if you decide to go ahead anyway probably you could start with the movement first and if you successfully manage to service it you could go out looking  for a stem?, crown and crystal. For practicing purposes you might want to try to polish your acrylic. (videos are available on youtube). If you want a new crystal and you are in the UK I can send you one or two for free, just give me your address. You would also need a crystal lifter tool, i got a cheap one from eBay and it is surprisingly good. Watch Mark's video as how to replace an acrylic.

Edited by luiazazrambo

• Mark unpinned this topic
  • Mark pinned this topic