I'm after a 2224A or 2279 mainspring for a 12s model 1894 Waltham pocket watch.

Cousins don't seem to stock them, I can find them on ebay, but if possible would prefer to buy for a supplier rather than a ebay vender.

Can anyone recommend a supplier that doesn't charge a fortune in postage to Australia?

I hate buying something that should cost only a couple of dollars postage and getting slugged $20 to $30 US postage

On 11/16/2017 at 1:47 PM, Tmuir said:

I'm after a 2224A or 2279 mainspring for a 12s model 1894 Waltham pocket watch.

Cousins don't seem to stock them, I can find them on ebay, but if possible would prefer to buy for a supplier rather than a ebay vender.

Use their support system to request the item. If available from manuf, they will get it.

• 8 months later...

I'm looking for used, gold colored, alpha-style hands for a 1956 Oysterdate (ref 6494 / cal. 1225). They don’t need to be OEM.

I’ve been watching EBay for months with nothing suitable. I’ve posted a WTB on VRF with no luck...

I would have thought these would be pretty common. Am I looking in the wrong places?

Can anyone recommend any other places I could try?

Thanks

Could be hard to find Rolex parts. Watchmakers that work on this have licence. Have you tried facebook? Rolex forum there.  As i don't know what watch you have if it's gold or SS or anything else it's hard to help. Found this on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WATCH-HANDS-FOR-35MM-ROLEX-MIDSIZE-6694-OYSTERDATE-PRECISION-CALIBER-1225-GOLD-/161841347446

This https://www.chrono-shop.net/en/tritium-luminova-hands/6870-rolex-genuine-watch-hands-34mm-rolex-midsize-6694-gold-watch-parts-cal-1210.html

First ones not Rolex they are AM hands. 

Edited by rogart63

Could be hard to find Rolex parts. Watchmakers that work on this have licence. Have you tried facebook? Rolex forum there.  As i don't know what watch you have if it's gold or SS or anything else it's hard to help. Found this on Ebay. https://www.ebay.com/itm/WATCH-HANDS-FOR-35MM-ROLEX-MIDSIZE-6694-OYSTERDATE-PRECISION-CALIBER-1225-GOLD-/161841347446
This https://www.chrono-shop.net/en/tritium-luminova-hands/6870-rolex-genuine-watch-hands-34mm-rolex-midsize-6694-gold-watch-parts-cal-1210.html
First ones not Rolex they are AM hands. 

Thanks for the links.

I’m open to AM. My challenge is that I don’t want a set that’s brand new looking. The dial is from the 1950s so I’m looking for alpha or dauphine which I believe is correct for the period. Preferred with a lume strip...

It’s a bit of a tall order so I guess I’ll have to be patient and keep my eyes peeled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

What is the movement with the most compatible parts for it online (movement-parts/cases/dials) (even for the next 50 years, if it even possible to know that)?

I'm trying to assemble a watch from parts and with this movement every time that something goes wrong I have a good chance to find the parts I need, or if i'm tired of my watch design I can just buy a new case/dial/hands/strap and have a new one (there will be a lot of options to choose from, so you prob will get what you are looking for).

From my search it seems that 2824-2 is the winner (it also have clones - sellita sw200-1, seagull st2130,and another 2 bad ones, which means more parts in the net)

And how sturdy the movement you suggesting is? can I run/jog with it everyday without breaking it (only servicing it (clean + oil) from time to time)?

3 hours ago, phydaux said:

Anthony L of No BS Watchmaker fame lists the 2824 as one of the three most popular automatic watch movements out there, so I would think that with a large installed base out there then parts availability should be good for many years.

Found it - ETA 2824, 2892, & 7750, it is the second source that say the same, and from search on the net for cases it seems that the 2824 and 7750 are more popular (in the cases regard)

2824 vs 2892 - From my understanding its base quality is better than the 2824 base quality, it is thinner and have a clones from seagull and sellita too, the only problem is that, from my searches, there aren't many cases available for it online (so i guess there aren't many dials or other parts aswell).

2824 vs 7750 - 7750 is more pretty/classy imo and it seems the net is full with dials/cases for it, you can do a really nice looking watch with it, the only problem is that it don't have a good (cheaper) Chinese clone (I want to fix and service the watch myself, me being a beginner I think it is the best to work on a cheaper one (with upgrade option to the ETA)) plus it have more moving parts so I guess it is less sturdy from the 2824 (I want a watch that I can swim or lets say play tennis with)

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Thank you for the add from here in sunny Cambridgeshire UK.

I work at a UK based auctioneer, purchasing bulk quantities of watches from bankrupt businesses and discrete family sales.

Regularly we have some beautiful watches that may just need a new strap, replacement bezel or just a good clean.

I am self taught and thoroughly enjoy spending time bringing watches back from the brink.

Can anyone recommend where I can purchase spares from that would allow trade purchases?

For example I recently took control of a number of Seiko Watches. Some are excellent and ready for immediate sale, others require a new strap, but are boxed and ready to go.

Are Seiko parts only available through the manufacturer?

Any guidance would be warmly received, and hopefully I haven't fallen foul of any of the Forum Rules.

Kind regards

TheOtters.

• 1 year later...