Cyma & 2 Cheapies - All Due For Replacement Crystals

WillFly

I've mentioned my Cyma purchase on the forum a few weeks ago. It's a very nice watch but is in need of a new crystal. I got hold of a couple of real cheapies recently - an Elco that needs a clean, and a Rodania that's running nicely. They also need new crystals, so I'm off to see my mate Derek in Bursledon (Hampshire) next week to get them sorted. He has boxes and boxes of crystals which he's had for years, plus the right gear for extracting and replacing. And we have coffee and cakes and chew the fat about watches and other stuff for a couple of hours - always a nice morning out. A composite pic of the 3 below. The Rodania movement pic is not mine - the case back's an odd looking beast with tiny holes in the edge - might even be a snap-off posing as a screw back - so I'm going to take his advice on that one. And the Elco is gunged up and needs a clean.

post-64-0-17434800-1422539228_thumb.jpg

Indeed they're a useful tool. I think the problem might be that, because I get crystals changed so infrequently (I usually buy watches in pretty good nick) that the problem might be getting the right crystal just when I needed it. As I've seen with my own eyes, you can try and fit one which looks the same and has the same measurements, but which may not be quite right. The blessing of a good stock is that, if the one chosen isn't quite right, there are others which might do. There's also the question of profile as well as size - flat, domed, high sides, etc.

If I did them regularly, then I'd probably tool up properly for it. Like I do with watch straps - where I have a large stock of lug pins of all lengths. At the moment, I get crystals changed as and when I need - and combine it with coffee and cakes!

Edited by WillFly

You can't really tell from the pic, but the Elco crystal is badly crazed (a bit like it's new owner), and the gashes in the Rodania are quite deep. I've used PolyWatch in the past and never been entirely happy with the result - perhaps I wasn't doing it correctly but I was always conscious of a slight cloudiness after treatment. Not a huge amount, but noticeable, all the same.

The Rodania is running smoothly and to time - and it's another one with an interesting case back! There are some very tiny holes in the top of the case - close to, but not actually on the edge - and I don't have an appropriate tool to get it off to photograph it. But my pal does - he's been doing watch repair as a hobby for 40 years and is a dab hand at dealing with most problems. The only thing he won't touch is chronographs.

i think the polywatch is ok for cleaning but my method is 1200 wet and dry go across the scratches in straight lines no circles then go at right angles to this, now it looks terrible or should do if you've done lt right, now get the brasso out and polish it upbe careful not to get too much on the bezel, lovely job works everytime

Brasso is great for watch crystals, I always keep a can in my workroom but I mostly now replace with a new crystal

whilst on the subject is there any sort of Ref works for crystal sizes, so you can match up a crystal to a certain/specific

watch. Would be great if there was such a book... 

Best Wishes

Darren

The 3 crystals were replaced by my mate Derek yesterday. It was interesting to see it being done. He has a large stock, bought years ago, plus the correct measuring tool, holder and crystal lift. The Elco and the Cyma were quite straightforward, but the Rodania (flat domed) was awkward. even after measuring the old crystal, he had to try three before the right one actually fitted (276 if you want to know!). The point is that, if I needed this doing this regularly, I'd buy the stock and the tools, but it's just not something that I need on a regular basis. Anyway - pics of the Cyma and the Rodania...

post-64-0-37288600-1423140496_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-44194000-1423140810_thumb.jpg

Precisely what I thought when I bought the Elco and the Rodania - from the same dealer - on eBay. There were no bids on either watch because they looked so **BLEEP**, but the movements seemed quite pleasant so I thought, "What the hell - why not?"

Got them both for £20, including postage. The Rodania case back was secured by a screw ring which had the most incredibly fine holes - too small for any of my case tools - so Derek found a pair of pliers with very fine tips, fitted the tips into the holes, and off came the back!

Here's some pics of the Elco Bimatic - the cheapie that had a crazed and yellowed glass and needed a clean - after the clean and glass replacement. This is a nice ETA 2370, 21-jewel movement and now running beautifully. The case is a tad worn, but what do you expect for a tenner?

post-64-0-77171300-1423589594_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-80422900-1423589597_thumb.jpg

Edited by WillFly

• 4 weeks later...