Twisted Stem

I have just disassembled an ETA 2789 (at least that's what's marked under the balance. It doesn't have the day display) and found the square of the winding stem to be twisted. The function of the watch doesn't seem to be impaired. Winding and setting work fine. My question is, how can this happen? It's a seemingly perfect twist (no bend), and too much torque on the crown would surely cause breakage somewhere else before the square twists. So was it made that way? Why? I've never seen or heard of anything like it.

DSC02042.thumb.JPG.775750ad6d7ae23b83adf7bbaf477a8a.JPG

5 minutes ago, Chopin said:

Usually I've found these on ladies calibers... Never on men's but who knows...

ETA 2824-1 is like that. I think the idea is that the twist helps the setting lever in keeping the castle wheel pressed.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I have a watch with a twisted stem.  Like others, I thought it was a problem.  After researching, I discovered that it was ok.  Searched the forum to find this thread which is helpful, but still scratching my head as to how a twisted stem makes things work better. 

In the worst-case scenario, could it be replaced with a straight stem?  Just curious...not an issue for me now.

55 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

but still scratching my head as to how a twisted stem makes things work better. 

The twist drives the winding and sliding pinions towards each other which enhances the grip for their clutch action. 

• Like 1