Getting further down the rabbit hole

Caillic

Greetings to all :)

After many years of being interested in wind up watches and clocks, as well as the odd battery change and strap/bracelet adjustment. I always wanted to get into horology in a more serious way. However real life has got in the way. Anyway, this Christmas my partner bought me a small watch repair kit and my curiosity was reignited and I have been looking at so much infomation online and found this forum. As well as the main site I originally found.

Presently, I am just looking to learn more about Horology and basic repairs to see where it takes me. Hopefully towards a new hobby, maybe a career or at the very least some earnings to learn more about the subject. 

After a convesation with my mum about finding a watch repairer for her Seiko, sorry I don't know the model, I would possibly like to offer servicing Ladies small movement watches.

My small collection includes many Sekondas from throughout my life. Two pocket watches, a modern half hunter Rotary and a J G Graves English lever from 1900, or at least that's what the assay marks tell me. And my Fathers old Seiko 6119 5490 from 1974. I also like small clocks with watch movements.

Welcome to the forum. Before venturing into repairing/servicing I recommend lots and lots of practice. There is a big difference when moving on from when its not your watch/clock on the bench to working on someones pride and joy. However enjoy the forum there are plenty of knowledgeable guys here to help. 

Hi C welcome to the forum,  You can do no better than before venturing into this mystic world by watching Mark's Video's on the subject. They cover all the aspects required, as well as accumulating a book or two for reference, The rest just ask questions no matter how trivial they may seem we are here to help.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am sure I will have questions in time, Although I am sure I could find the answer somewhere in the forums before I do.

So far this forum has given me a list of books that I need to buy, in fact I have ordered a copy of Practical Watch Repairing by Donald De Carle and have a few more queued up on my amazon wish list. I have also bought myself a handful of scrapped Movements for £2 each from Ebay and a new ETA 6498 Clone for when I am feeling a little more confident. Not planning on even touching anything that means a lot to someone or even myself until I am fully confident in my skills.

Also I have started watching Marks Vids on Youtube, in fact it's where I started and found this forum, considering paying for the level one course Mark has too, while I save up to pay for BHI Membership and the level one course they have on offer. As well as setting up my bench with tools etc.