Corum Golden Bridge Mainspring

bum7amd

I have a 90's Corum golden bridge watch that was recently repaired and serviced. However, the mainspring was broken and the watchmaker fixed it as it is.

the watch actually runs great however you now can see that there is a gap in the mainspring area as the broken (shorter in size) mainspring is still fixed. the winding is very limited 3 to 4 crown turns and runs for max 6 hours only.

my questions are:

1- is the short power reserve issue related to the mainspring length? so if i replace it to the correct one it will stay for a longer time?

2- if anybody knows, what are the mainspring measurements of this watch? as unfortunately there aren't any topics in the internet discussing this watch, and the watchmaker didn't keep the broken mainspring piece so i can measure the pieces combined.

3- where can i source this piece as i tried many well known suppliers in the internet but didnt find anything regarding this model.

pictures attached are from the internet but are for the same exact model which i have.

thanks in advance for the help!

Untitl1ed.jpg

Untitle111d.jpg

That is a rare clock that I have not seen before. The mainspring length is important the shorter the spring the shorter the reserve. A clock will stop after a few hours if it is out of beat or if it needs servicing. However looking at the pictures I can not see how the beat is adjusted on your clock.

• Like 1

This is a rather expensive watch contact the manufacturer they should be able to help you. But if you want to do it yourself you'll have to disassemble it and remove the mainspring barrel take the mainspring out measure it and probably discovered that it's unique and you have to send if the manufacturer whether you like it or not. Then you'll notice on the website they're still making the watch probably still using the same mainspring.

https://www.corum-watches.com/en/

2 hours ago, clockboy said:

That is a rare clock that I have not seen before. The mainspring length is important the shorter the spring the shorter the reserve. A clock will stop after a few hours if it is out of beat or if it needs servicing. However looking at the pictures I can not see how the beat is adjusted on your clock.

Hi, the pictures are just from the internet and not my actual item but exactly the same model. Its a wrist watch actually not a clock but might appear large in the pictures.

thank you for your reply sir

57 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

This is a rather expensive watch contact the manufacturer they should be able to help you. But if you want to do it yourself you'll have to disassemble it and remove the mainspring barrel take the mainspring out measure it and probably discovered that it's unique and you have to send if the manufacturer whether you like it or not. Then you'll notice on the website they're still making the watch probably still using the same mainspring.

Yes it is expensive but the company’s policy is to send it abroad to the factory and its extremely expensive.

as for the measurement i mentioned that the spring bar is broken and there is a missing piece so i cant know the original length.

the current golden bridge models are 100% different from what i have.

thank you for your reply

1 hour ago, bum7amd said:

Yes it is expensive but the company’s policy is to send it abroad to the factory and its extremely expensive.

as for the measurement i mentioned that the spring bar is broken and there is a missing piece so i cant know the original length.

the current golden bridge models are 100% different from what i have.

thank you for your reply

I have a chance to buy a similar piece at modest price, but no papers.

Dose Corum keep a ledger record?

Did you go to a reputable watchmaker? These aren't particularly difficult to work on, and having the spring and barrel in hand a competent watchmaker can source a new spring, it may not be a 100% match but it would work 100% as original.

Supposing the spring broke at the end the reduction in length for that repair would have a negligible effect on the power reserve. That it runs only 6 hours is a red flag.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

often, a broken main spring   is repaired by  shortening it.   the clock will run long enough to get it home.  vin

13 hours ago, bum7amd said:

the problem with expensive watches are typically no parts are available to anyone in the universe without sending the watch back to the factory. So anyone who has a more expensive watch has to accept the consequence of that is it's going to be expensive to get fixed.

so ignoring my above statement let's get your mainspring so the first step is we need a model number. But in the absence of a model number I'll look in my mainspring catalog are you sure the manufactures name is Corum? that's because there are no mainsprings for that company in the catalog. so any of the references I look at indicate that company does not exist as there are zero spare parts and of course associate with the zero spare parts are zero parts lists cross-references or anything.

unfortunately In watch repair for a variety of reasons you cannot always look up the parts you need fortunately mainsprings sometimes probably not in this case but sometimes you can find things that are similar. So for that you need to disassemble the watch remove the mainspring and get us some measurements. The width and the thickness of the spring and we will have to calculate the length.

Then visually even though the watch looks relatively simple there will be some minor issues like there does not appear to be a separate balance bridge so the entire thing has to go together as one unit but at least all the parts are out for you can see them versus other watches were there hiding under things.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I have a chance to buy a similar piece at modest price, but no papers.

Dose Corum keep a ledger record?

Hope you get it, its a very lovely watch. About the record i guess it depends on the dealer policy and country.

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

the problem with expensive watches are typically no parts are available to anyone in the universe without sending the watch back to the factory. So anyone who has a more expensive watch has to accept the consequence of that is it's going to be expensive to get fixed.

so ignoring my above statement let's get your mainspring so the first step is we need a model number. But in the absence of a model number I'll look in my mainspring catalog are you sure the manufactures name is Corum? that's because there are no mainsprings for that company in the catalog. so any of the references I look at indicate that company does not exist as there are zero spare parts and of course associate with the zero spare parts are zero parts lists cross-references or anything.

unfortunately In watch repair for a variety of reasons you cannot always look up the parts you need fortunately mainsprings sometimes probably not in this case but sometimes you can find things that are similar. So for that you need to disassemble the watch remove the mainspring and get us some measurements. The width and the thickness of the spring and we will have to calculate the length.

Then visually even though the watch looks relatively simple there will be some minor issues like there does not appear to be a separate balance bridge so the entire thing has to go together as one unit but at least all the parts are out for you can see them versus other watches were there hiding under things.

Hi there,

The watch model number is “ 13202 “ however, there are other models as well that i think have the same exact movement hypothetically. 13203, 13150, 13201, 13250, 13211. And yes the company is Corum, and model name Golden bridge.

the watch is a ghost in the internet i couldnt find any useful information, only a few for sale and thats all!

about the measuring the mainspring part, as mentioned earlier, unfortunately the watchmaker has cut the mainspring “as a fixing procedure” and didn't keep the excess part. So there is no way from my side to get the correct mainspring length. Thats why i asked if anybody knows the measurements at least as it will give me a chance to start to find a replacement part. 

Hi there,
The watch model number is “ 13202 “ however, there are other models as well that i think have the same exact movement hypothetically. 13203, 13150, 13201, 13250, 13211. And yes the company is Corum, and model name Golden bridge.
the watch is a ghost in the internet i couldnt find any useful information, only a few for sale and thats all!
about the measuring the mainspring part, as mentioned earlier, unfortunately the watchmaker has cut the mainspring “as a fixing procedure” and didn't keep the excess part. So there is no way from my side to get the correct mainspring length. Thats why i asked if anybody knows the measurements at least as it will give me a chance to start to find a replacement part. 
The length can be determined from the diameter of the barrel.