mpm235

Hello from Yorkshire, England

Hello everyone,

I am Mark, from Yorkshire, England. I have been a Watch collector for a long time and have just started a bit on tinkering. I'm looking forward to contributing to this great looking community.

cheers, Mark

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:33 AM, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

You have some very bad weather around parts of Yorkshire. Hope its not to bad around you. 

Hello Oldhippie,

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for the late reply (been busy with various things...). We narrowly avoided the flooding, it was 5 feet deep not far from our house, with several road closures nearby.  

cheers, Mark

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 5:00 AM, Nucejoe said:

Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

Hello Nucejoe,

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for the late reply (been busy with various things...). 

cheers, Mark

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi Mark  welcome to the forum from another tyke, Lived in Tadcaster for 40yrs then moved to Scotland , where are you located.

Hello Watchweasol,

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for the late reply (been busy with various things...). I am in South Yorkshire, near Doncaster/Rotherham.

cheers, Mark

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:58 PM, m1ks said:

Hi and welcome from another former Yorkshireman who is now in Scotland.

As above, hope the severe weather hasn't affected you.

Hello m1ks,

Thanks for the welcome, sorry for the late reply (been busy with various things...). We narrowly avoided the flooding, it was 5 feet deep not far from our house, with several road closures nearby.  I am in South Yorkshire, near Doncaster/Rotherham.

cheers, Mark

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Hello all,  I am new to this forum and still quite inexperienced when it comes to diagnosing faults. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for tracking down the cause of low amplitude. Some Background: I recently acquired a 12s ‘Delmark’ branded pocket watch was not running. It had a broken mainspring, and as I couldn’t find any model number or useful information on the watch I replaced the broken spring with the closest available silver alloy equivalent. After manually cleaning and reassembling the movement I found it to have very poor amplitude around 110 degrease. I disassembled the movement and inspected the balance, staffs, jewels and train gears and didn’t find any obvious problem. With just the balance installed and given a slight perturbation it smoothly oscillates for several seconds without any sign of excess friction.  I have also installed each of the train wheels individually and looked at the end play with my 10x loupe but wasn’t really able to distinguish excessive play (although I have no real experience here). There also doesn’t seem to be excessive lockup in the escapement, and the banking pins are nonadjustable. Also, the balance cock rests directly between the banking pins when the mainspring is let down.   It seems like there must be a glaring problem I am missing. Does anyone have any thoughts? Best regards EF7DDFED-5E61-4C34-8949-8A0692E977A4.heic
    • Hello all, This was my father's Gotham watch that my mother gave to him in 1942. It's an automatic, and although he stopped wearing it in the early 60's (he passed in 2000), it still runs with decent amplitude. I'd like to disassemble, clean, lube, and adjust it, but I don't know how to remove the stem to get at the movement. In the "Gotham 3" photo you can see the movement coming slightly out of the case, but I have not figured out how to release the stem to remove the movement completely. Any ideas? Thanks Dan  
    • Wow, just wow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • Full plate pocket watches. Getting the pivots back into the jewels can be either easy or next to impossible. The game of nudge. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    • I am working on a beautiful 21 Jewel Gold Splashed Elgin movement and it is running way to fast, past the adjustment leaver. So the question is, do I just unscrew the meantime screws on the balance (2 Screws, equal turns) or do I also do the Quarter Screws? The balance is in beat after I adjusted the collet (approx .5 ms).     Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro