Question

8 answers to this question

Thanks.  Not broken, the balance cock spring is identical.  Huge ping hazard though.    These function very much like the usual Incabloc springs in that you release the legs and then lift the spring out of the housing. Thanks,

RMD

Edited by rduckwor

I would think that this is more a retaining clip vs a shock spring.  I recall another forum member mentioning this about the Kif duofix.  He described that for a third or fourth wheel where the pivot didn't have a substantial shoulder to contact the hole jewel to arrest the shock beyond the 'spring' giving way, this shows that the spring/clip really was meant as a retaining device for the cap jewel.  The incabloc style shock system allowed for the spring to absorb the smaller shocks and, if significant, the shoulder of the staff would contact the hole jewel to further protect the pivots.

I'm with @GeorgeC on this i.e. this is not a shock protection spring but simply a retaining clip.

This contrasts with ranfft which says that the 712 should have a Kif Protechoc system. It could be therefore that Elgin made the improvement to use a proper protection system later in the movement's manufacturing history. 

On 6/18/2019 at 11:47 PM, rduckwor said:

Thanks.  Not broken, the balance cock spring is identical.  Huge ping hazard though.    These function very much like the usual Incabloc springs in that you release the legs and then lift the spring out of the housing. Thanks,

RMD

Thought it looked broken . But now i look closer it looks okay. Maybe you should just leave it as is and oil it from inte inside. Sure looks like someone has tried to remove it before. Lots of damage.  

Further investigation on my part, tells me that the 713 movement was where the use of the KIF springs began.  The above posters are correct in saying this is simply a retaining clip as I'm told by an Elgin expert that the 712 pivot assembly was not a true shock protection system as the jewel is fixed in the place and does not "float" as with the Incabloc and other similar systems.

Thanks for all of your replies.  Best,

RMD