Different sized center wheel pivots for same grade movement question

Question

Hello! I've been having trouble with an Elgin 554 movement but am eager to wear the watch so I attempted to swap the movement with another strong running 554. However the trouble 554 and the strong running 554 are for different dial types (trouble 554 is for a flat dial, running 554 is for a curved dial). I assumed that I would be able to just swap the cannon pinions and hour gears, however I found that the center wheel pivot was a slightly different diameter. The curved dial cannon pinion was much too lose on the other center wheel pivot and the flat dial cannon pinion was much too tight on the curved dial center wheel pivot. I was surprised that the pivots would be slightly different diameters for the same (554) movement, BUT I'm also very new to this and wanted to ask two questions: 1) will also swapping the center wheel between movements fix this problem? And 2) is this a common issue I'll find when trying to source parts from other movements of the same caliber? 

(Apologies if any of my terminology is wrong)

Thank you for any help!

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Max50916 said:

Hello! I've been having trouble with an Elgin 554 movement but am eager to wear the watch so I attempted to swap the movement with another strong running 554. However the trouble 554 and the strong running 554 are for different dial types (trouble 554 is for a flat dial, running 554 is for a curved dial). I assumed that I would be able to just swap the cannon pinions and hour gears, however I found that the center wheel pivot was a slightly different diameter. The curved dial cannon pinion was much too lose on the other center wheel pivot and the flat dial cannon pinion was much too tight on the curved dial center wheel pivot. I was surprised that the pivots would be slightly different diameters for the same (554) movement, BUT I'm also very new to this and wanted to ask two questions: 1) will also swapping the center wheel between movements fix this problem? And 2) is this a common issue I'll find when trying to source parts from other movements of the same caliber? 

(Apologies if any of my terminology is wrong)

Thank you for any help!

If you have not seen this already (see attached): Elgin 554-556 parts list.

p07-556 - Copy.pdf

• Like 1

Usually when dealing with American watches especially the older pocket watches swapping components Is undesirable. Even though you can have a wonderful parts listed indicates that all the parts will interchange because are mass-produced. But then in the older watches they typically hand  fit the component so they may have been modified slightly. Then there were made in batches and there's going to be variations between the batches depending upon when they were made it but it watch being new war shouldn't perhaps have those issues.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Poljot said:

By looking at the parts list - you should be able to swap both, the cannon pinion and hour wheel. Hope the Hands dia remains the same.

Thanks guys! Yes it's strange that according to the parts guide you should be able to use the same center wheel but they're not actually quite the same, if I were able to change the movement entirely (put a slightly newer 554 instead of the original (I think) movement would there be any decrease in the value? The one I'm having trouble with is military issue

1 hour ago, Max50916 said:

Thanks guys! Yes it's strange that according to the parts guide you should be able to use the same center wheel but they're not actually quite the same, if I were able to change the movement entirely (put a slightly newer 554 instead of the original (I think) movement would there be any decrease in the value? The one I'm having trouble with is military issue

I don't believe that value would decrease at all. Not according to pocketwatchdatabasedotcom

• Thanks 1
On 12/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, JohnR725 said:

Usually when dealing with American watches especially the older pocket watches swapping components Is undesirable. Even though you can have a wonderful parts listed indicates that all the parts will interchange because are mass-produced. But then in the older watches they typically hand  fit the component so they may have been modified slightly. Then there were made in batches and there's going to be variations between the batches depending upon when they were made it but it watch being new war shouldn't perhaps have those issues.

I have to agree with this whole heartedly because coming from a guy who has always worked on older waltham/eglin movements this is almost always the case even when using the same grade and calibre. However I have swapped parts between 554 movements and they are supposed to be interchangeable but as John stated they rarely are. My rule of thumb is always keep the wheels and top plates together as much as possible. Its not always how they were made but how they had worn down in the last 80 years. Some pivots could have worn down much more or even differently than others. But not sure why you have to swap these because I have used civilian curved 554s and 555s with a flat military dial and hands. I suggest you keep the nickel black movement, service it, then just swap the balance only. I would test the balance first to make sure there is no variances in the jewel heights, because that is also an issue. But its an issue that can be rectified with shimming or jewel pushing. The Mil-spec nickel black movement should be preserved esp if the watch is military. the hands should also be interchangeable. 

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Max50916
      Hello all! I've been having issues with an Elgin 554 movement, it's one of the military issue ones from wwii. I received the watch in run/stop condition and did a full teardown/cleaning/oiling. The watch will sometimes run for a couple hours to a couple days before getting "stuck". There's an actual tension where something is getting out of line and can be felt when gently trying to adjust the hands (the hands are not stuck on each other, it's an internal issue). I've tried opening it up and adjusting it probably 5 times but nothing seems to do the trick. 
      Has anyone else had a similar issue? I've tried tightening down the bridge that holds down the setting gears (don't know the exact name of that but it's circled in blue).
      I've tried removing those gears and trying to re-install the canon pinion multiple times (I think that the canon pinion may be slipping out of true and that's the issue?) It's hard to tell exactly what it is though. I've also tried pinching it a bit tighter so that it's a tighter fit over the center wheel pivot
      I've also tried putting in one to two dial washers in case the hour wheel (I think thats what it's called) is popping out of whack.
      I'm really at a loss as to what could be the issue/how to fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• By Graziano
      Hello and calling all military experts .Yesterday I picked up a few kilo of pocket watch parts and other bits and pieces of vintage horology timepieces .In amongst the assortment was this Australian issued pocket watch.I have a question about the markings on the back . I know about the Elgin side of things ,this has the grade 594 movement gold colored and dated to 1943 .However I have done lots of trolling on the net and cannot find what the marking beside the serial number underneath the first D is . If one of you highly knowledgeable collectors could tell me anything about this watch and is it worth restoring .I need to replace the broken balance staff, but thats all .I can source original hands for this model . What do you know please share.  

• By agregate
      I'm trying to release the tension in the mainspring on an Elgin grade 144 pocket watch and unlike my grade 291, this one has a hidden click and the main barrel is tucked underneath a plate.
      I've looked online and found a single forum post stating I need to push a pin or very small object into a hole underneath the main barrel (which there is one) while simultaneously holding the stem in place to stop it from unwinding all at once.
      The problem is, I've got a single screwdriver that fits in this pinhole and after poking around in a few directions, it doesn't seem to be releasing the click. I don't know if this is the right hole (it is the only one) that I'm putting it in, if it's supposed to be on a specific angle at insertion, a certain depth, etc. I've attached photos of the side of the movement and a diagram of what I am doing.
      For what its worth, its a lever set.

• By rduckwor
      A vintage Elgin 15/0, Gr 559.  I took it down, cleaned and lubricated it and it is gaining 15 minutes/24 hours.  I have looked at the HS, it appears to be perfect, clean, flat, not magnetized (de-magged the movement X 3 already), and in position between the regulator pins.  Not hung on the center wheel.  Correct mainspring, and balance is not knocking.    I do not remember amplitude, but IIRC, it was above 22 which is O.K. by me with the movement.  Please give me some ideas as to how to correct this.  It doesn't seem like there are enough timing washers in the world to slow this down!

Thanks,

RMD
    • By rduckwor
      Early 60's Elgin 10K Shockmaster. I suppose one of their attempts at water proofing a watch (see the crystal and gasket in the second picture). The question is how to get the crown off (Its wobbly when pulled out to the set position and I am certain it contains a gasket) so I can remove the movement? Dis-assemble the keyless works in place so I can grab the stem and unscrew the crown?? Thanks.